Whatcha's workin on this weekender?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Whatcha's workin on this weekender?

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:41 pm

I did a bass track, 6 guitar tracks, a cuppla BV's, wired a pedal board, did a cuppla ruff mixes ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Whatcha's workin on this weekender?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Replacing some drums on an old country song. Got some cool guys on backup, but the arrangement is a bit messy.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:11 pm

Cheesy little fake fiddle tune thing on guitar and mandolin, for postlude music. Decided that Reaper was a little too heavy-duty for this, as I didn't want to save rejected takes, so I did it in Acapella and then exported the tracks to Reaper for mixdown.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:56 am

Double checking some mixes headed for mastering and writing up an invoice. Maybe 20 mins of working, in my pyjamas, with my first coffee of the day while the kid watches cartoons. After that no work til Monday.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:00 am

working on several drum tracks for several different clients (and several more in the queue). Sometimes I can work on a couple in parallel, but if I have to change a drum or cymbals, then I have to wait until the previous is completed.

Trying to build some new (thicker) absorbers to try out too. Building them as 2' x 4' segments (4 of them) and each will have either one or two of the Johns Manville Rockwool batts (have to see what they look like after I open the package, which is compressed for storage but has 12 of them in there). I've used OC703 for the last ones I built, but my local Lowe's carries this stuff so figured I'd give it a try.

And checking out a couple new mics. more on that later.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:27 am

Tracked some acoustic and electric guitar parts and vocals. Troubleshooting signal routing issues in my patch bay to get the right source from my analog desk over to my outboard gear and back. Also doing a little songwriting.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:47 am

I used AudioMovers to have a virtual meeting with a client where we did listen throughs of the songs then spoke on the phone after each one and compared lists. AudioMovers has really become indispensable for me and my workflow.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:27 am

Basic tracking for a song on an album project that will never end. I need to comp the keeper, but I got too hungry to keep working. I'll do that during the week.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 am

The theme the last couple weeks has been organizing. Cleaned up my closet / vocal booth, put all of my guitars in there (it doesn’t look like much standing space, and it isn’t...but as long as I stay skinny I’ll fit fine). I had sold my “giant” Mesa dc 10 2x12 which was occupying a significant footprint in my very tiny bedroom studio, and as someone who prefers to record direct and doesn’t gig, this had to go.

This weekend I put together a cheapo monoprice “extra large” (my ass) pedalboard and 12 or so of my pedals...pedal board itself seems fine for my purposes (not touring), however there is not room on the bottom to mount my 1 spot cs 12.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/167-OWr ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ImNHHF ... p=drivesdk

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:24 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:47 am
I used AudioMovers to have a virtual meeting with a client where we did listen throughs of the songs then spoke on the phone after each one and compared lists. AudioMovers has really become indispensable for me and my workflow.

That looks cool! If only I knew musicians smart enuff/interested enuff to use it ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:26 am

kslight wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 am
... however there is not room on the bottom to mount my 1 spot cs 12.

Can you mount the 1 Spot on the board, and then a lesser-used pedal or 2 atop it?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:07 pm

vvv wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:24 am
roscoenyc wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:47 am

That looks cool! If only I knew musicians smart enuff/interested enuff to use it ...
If you are the AudioMovers host all the other people need to do is click on the link to hear.
No software or equipment needed.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:45 pm

vvv wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:26 am
kslight wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 am
... however there is not room on the bottom to mount my 1 spot cs 12.

Can you mount the 1 Spot on the board, and then a lesser-used pedal or 2 atop it?
You right. I was able to put it under two pedals (it is 8” wide) on the lower level, and it fits into the carry bag still (barely).

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:43 pm

I get larfed at sometimes for having lots of pedals - and I don't mean owning, but rather on my bass or guitar pedal board.

I typically take 10 + a wah to jam sessions, because I like sounds. I know of guys that use 3-4 different envelope filters on their bass board, so I'm not the only one.

Current live bass board (2 envelopes, 1 octave, phaser, chorus, EQ, 'pressor and dirt - I wanna add a flanger):

Current live guitar board (the Mooer mini-Muff possibly [awesome cheap Chinese pedal] and the boutique super fuzz will likely be replaced soon by some EHX or a Chgo Stompwrks muff and a Catalinbread fuzz I have coming - envelope, phaser, delays, reverb, dirt):

I use a 1 Spot daisy-chained - never hadda issue.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:00 pm

vvv wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:43 pm
I get larfed at sometimes for having lots of pedals - and I don't mean owning, but rather on my bass or guitar pedal board.

I typically take 10 + a wah to jam sessions, because I like sounds. I know of guys that use 3-4 different envelope filters on their bass board, so I'm not the only one.

Current live bass board (2 envelopes, 1 octave, phaser, chorus, EQ, 'pressor and dirt - I wanna add a flanger):

Current live guitar board (the Mooer mini-Muff possibly [awesome cheap Chinese pedal] and the boutique super fuzz will likely be replaced soon by some EHX or a Chgo Stompwrks muff and a Catalinbread fuzz I have coming - envelope, phaser, delays, reverb, dirt):

I use a 1 Spot daisy-chained - never hadda issue.
I like sounds and prefer pedals to amps. Sadly this board is “consolidated” of the ones I want to use the most for a project, leaving quite a few disconnected.

I have a couple regular old one spots but I haven’t had great luck using them with more than a couple pedals, plus I have stuff with odd power requirements so they aren’t ideal.