Recording Trends/Techniques that drive you nuts

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: Recording Trends/Techniques that drive you nuts

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:52 pm

^^^^ Yep, all of those are good. The drums on that Power Station record are crazy.

I associate Mutt so heavily with Def Leppard, for a minute I actually forgot that he did Back in Black. Highway to Hell too!

Those Cars drums sounded a lot bigger/more processed in my head than they actually do, and I realized that I imagine those songs the way they sound on the radio. Both RTB and RJ'M'L really knew how to mix for radio, that Cars record and BiB slay most everything else on classic rock radio.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:19 pm

CraigS63 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:37 pm
vvv wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:24 am
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:01 am
... that Cars drum sound was the biggest/fattest sound going at the time, was it not?

Mmmm - Genesis/Phil Collins solo
I'll see your Phil Collins drum sound, and raise with Bowie "Let's Dance", then Power Station "Some Like It Hot".
Genesis (starting with And Then There Were 3*, '78) and PC ('81) are late 70's, early 80's.

Bowie ('83) and Power Station ('85) are a cuppla years after.

*First concert I saw (they were green) lasers at - I just bought the re-master CD and it's really good!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:24 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:19 pm
CraigS63 wrote:
vvv wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:24 am

Mmmm - Genesis/Phil Collins solo
I'll see your Phil Collins drum sound, and raise with Bowie "Let's Dance", then Power Station "Some Like It Hot".
Genesis (starting with And Then There Were 3*, '78) and PC ('81) are late 70's, early 80's.

Bowie ('83) and Power Station ('85) are a cuppla years after.

*First concert I saw (they were green) lasers at - I just bought the re-master CD and it's really good!
I guess Peter Gabriel's "Intruder" was the first one with the drum trick.
https://youtu.be/vAzUh_H7yV0

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:35 pm

1980 :mrgreen:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:17 am

CraigS63 wrote:
That sound, other than the phasor added to certain parts, is all that room. The A-Room at the Power Station is the most amazing drum room I have ever worked in or witnessed. You clap your hands in there and it sounds like the Power Station drums. I listen back to that record now with a new appreciation, knowing that it wasn't all digital reverb glopped on like everything else at that time. That room is very special, especially if you want that huge sound. If you have never seen it:

https://tapeop.com/_m/photologue/photos ... ovi-00.jpg

There are a pair of U87s permanently mounted up in the tippy top of the room as well.

Let's give a bit of credit where credit is due. Like these particular drum sounds, someone had to do a certain technique first in order for it to become a cliché when everyone else did it for years to come. We've seen so many trends and micro-trends come and go over the many years since the dawn of recording music, especially multi-track recording. Can you believe that there was a time when engineers (in their white lab coats) wouldn't let you put a microphone anywhere within 10' of a kick drum? Now we shove mics inside up against the beater head.

Roger

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:50 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:13 am
Roy Thomas Baker vs. R.J. "Mutt" Lange: discuss.
One's a brilliant visionary and the other is Mutt Lange.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 am

And I would gently remind you that your non-brilliant visionary made Back in Black.

That Power Station room is so completely insane. Not hard to imagine drums sounding good in there. Glad I didn't have the job of putting the wood up though.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:07 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 am
And I would gently remind you that your non-brilliant visionary made Back in Black.

That Power Station room is so completely insane. Not hard to imagine drums sounding good in there. Glad I didn't have the job of putting the wood up though.
J Hall (who some of you may remember) and I came up with a theory about Back in Black. They did that record in the Bahamas. We believe on the first or second day Mutt came to the studio and listened for a bit and said "yep, that sounds like AC/DC. I'm goin' to the beach...make the record."

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:19 pm

drumsound wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:07 pm
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:

J Hall (who some of you may remember) and I came up with a theory about Back in Black. They did that record in the Bahamas. We believe on the first or second day Mutt came to the studio and listened for a bit and said "yep, that sounds like AC/DC. I'm goin' to the beach...make the record."
That does not explain High 'n' Dry.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:21 pm

I think it's hilarious that a thread called "Recording Trends/Techniques that drive you nuts" has become a Mutt Lange thread.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Magnetic Services wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:21 pm
I think it's hilarious that a thread called "Recording Trends/Techniques that drive you nuts" has become a Mutt Lange thread.
The guitars in the pre-chorus of "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" is one of the "All-Time Champ..." overdriven guitar recordings. That thing is evergreen.

Never mind that I get the feeling that the run from "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" into "Switch 625" was Lange.

Never mind the guitar sound in the start of "You Got Me Runnin'" Never mind all of the guitars in the intro to "Lady Strange" I could go on...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:56 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:19 pm
drumsound wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:07 pm
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:

That does not explain High 'n' Dry.
I can't comment. I'm vaguely reminded of Bringing on the Heartbreak (not fondly). Other than that, I got nuthin'
Magnetic Services wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:21 pm
Mutt Lange drives me nuts.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:16 am

numberthirty wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 pm
The guitars in the pre-chorus of "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" is one of the "All-Time Champ..." overdriven guitar recordings. That thing is evergreen.

Never mind that I get the feeling that the run from "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" into "Switch 625" was Lange.

Never mind the guitar sound in the start of "You Got Me Runnin'" Never mind all of the guitars in the intro to "Lady Strange" I could go on...
I'm not going to argue that High N Dry isn't a great pop/rock record. It still sounds like Def Leppard. Still has those chord progressions that are signature to them, which Mutt stripped them of by Hysteria, and most of Pyromania. I was always bummed to not hear "Switch 625" at the end oh Heartbreak when I heard it on the radio.

Roger

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Rodgre wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:17 am
CraigS63 wrote:
That sound, other than the phasor added to certain parts, is all that room. The A-Room at the Power Station is the most amazing drum room I have ever worked in or witnessed. You clap your hands in there and it sounds like the Power Station drums. I listen back to that record now with a new appreciation, knowing that it wasn't all digital reverb glopped on like everything else at that time. That room is very special, especially if you want that huge sound. If you have never seen it:

https://tapeop.com/_m/photologue/photos ... ovi-00.jpg

There are a pair of U87s permanently mounted up in the tippy top of the room as well.

Let's give a bit of credit where credit is due. Like these particular drum sounds, someone had to do a certain technique first in order for it to become a cliché when everyone else did it for years to come. We've seen so many trends and micro-trends come and go over the many years since the dawn of recording music, especially multi-track recording. Can you believe that there was a time when engineers (in their white lab coats) wouldn't let you put a microphone anywhere within 10' of a kick drum? Now we shove mics inside up against the beater head.

Roger
I think I still have pixx from Soul Asylum tracking Grave Dancers Union there in 92. I was tuning guitars,and stealing techniques from Chris Shaw and Beinhorn. Those 87's up in that ceiling are in a coffin shaped wood recessed box,cause Bongiovi's Poppa ran the funeral parlors for the mob in nj. Great Sounding Room. I think Tony B and Clearmountain did my favorite record ever,one of the first. The Rezillos-Can't Stand The Rezillos (Scotland). Guitarist Jo Callis ended up 2 or 3 years later writing hits for The Human League. Whatever. Check out The Rezillos. Inspirational bass lines,and frenetic catchy tunes. They're still around.
I am the Walnut

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:08 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:26 pm
I think I still have pixx from Soul Asylum tracking Grave Dancers Union there in 92. I was tuning guitars,and stealing techniques from Chris Shaw and Beinhorn. Those 87's up in that ceiling are in a coffin shaped wood recessed box,cause Bongiovi's Poppa ran the funeral parlors for the mob in nj. Great Sounding Room. I think Tony B and Clearmountain did my favorite record ever,one of the first. The Rezillos-Can't Stand The Rezillos (Scotland). Guitarist Jo Callis ended up 2 or 3 years later writing hits for The Human League. Whatever. Check out The Rezillos. Inspirational bass lines,and frenetic catchy tunes. They're still around.
I was there with Chris Shaw as well! Love he Rezillos ands Jo Callis too!

Roger