Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Recording Trends/Techniques that drive you nuts

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:21 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:23 pm
When a project comes in, and EVERYTHING is recorded in Stereo.

Jeebus.
WTF is with that!!!!

It's so goddamn annoying.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:35 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:21 am
Nick Sevilla wrote:

Jeebus.
WTF is with that!!!!

More often than not, it isn't all recorded in stereo. I've found that many people don't really know how to export (or even how to set up a mono track in their daw...)

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:50 pm

drumsound wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:35 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:

Jeebus.
WTF is with that!!!!

More often than not, it isn't all recorded in stereo. I've found that many people don't really know how to export (or even how to set up a mono track in their daw...)
Then don't you just have another mind numbingly boring round of file management to re-export the tracks in mono so you can then commence work?

BTW this file management stuff is my least favorite part of the job. Detail-oriented, and you're not hearing any music. A lot of the processes take 30 seconds to a couple minutes depending on what you're moving which is long enough to get bored, but not long enough to start reading something in a magazine without forgetting your goals and wasting minutes after the last chunk was transfered or whatever.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:54 am

losthighway wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:50 pm
Then don't you just have another mind numbingly boring round of file management to re-export the tracks in mono so you can then commence work?

BTW this file management stuff is my least favorite part of the job. Detail-oriented, and you're not hearing any music. A lot of the processes take 30 seconds to a couple minutes depending on what you're moving which is long enough to get bored, but not long enough to start reading something in a magazine without forgetting your goals and wasting minutes after the last chunk was transfered or whatever.
BUTT of Coarse I do. The issue is trying to determine if something really IS Stereo or not. So I sit and listen to stuff before getting rid of one side or the other. Although annoying AF, sometimes it can save a bad recording, IF one side ends up sound less bad than the other. LOL.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:52 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:54 am
losthighway wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:50 pm

BUTT of Coarse I do. The issue is trying to determine if something really IS Stereo or not. So I sit and listen to stuff before getting rid of one side or the other. Although annoying AF, sometimes it can save a bad recording, IF one side ends up sound less bad than the other. LOL.
There's a plugin or something that will analyze for stereo, but I can't remember the name. I usually just ask the artist "did you actually use 2 mics" and that answer is usually no.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:05 am

There's one called Stereo Tool that I use for this.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:39 am

Cool Edit, and likely Audition, has a native plug-in for this.

I find it useful to analyze drum loops/tracks.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 am

drumsound wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:

Jeebus.
WTF is with that!!!!

Yea, that's it. Almost none of it is, which is what is so irritating. I have to go through and make sure, then split the tracks, etc....
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:19 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 am
drumsound wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:

WTF is with that!!!!

Yea, that's it. Almost none of it is, which is what is so irritating. I have to go through and make sure, then split the tracks, etc....
Yeah, total PITA

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:51 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:23 am
I really hate the modern trend of the super bright condensers on drum overheads and the drums mixed like your head is stationed next to the cymbals (overheads running hot). i don't want to hear that. listen to a james brown record, hear how the drums don't have a ton of super high end content yet are still the focal point, i want that.
On sampled drums, you can place it further away in the mix with some reverb. And use eq to tame piercing highs. With real drums, place a mic in various positions until one sounds best to your liking. In my case, its near my right knee.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:17 pm

vernier wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:51 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:23 am
I really hate the modern trend of the super bright condensers on drum overheads and the drums mixed like your head is stationed next to the cymbals (overheads running hot). i don't want to hear that. listen to a james brown record, hear how the drums don't have a ton of super high end content yet are still the focal point, i want that.
On sampled drums, you can place it further away in the mix with some reverb. And use eq to tame piercing highs. With real drums, place a mic in various positions until one sounds best to your liking. In my case, its near my right knee.
Another reason I've caught ribbon fever. You can crank the highs on a Coles and it never gets harsh, it just opens up a little more should you need it.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:20 am

So many things in this thread. One of my old bands that was together in the early 2000's randomly got back together over the winter and recorded an entire album remotely. Most of the guys were new to recording at home and EVERY TRACK CAME TO ME IN STEREO, but they were all mono of course. So that was funny to see this in this thread.

Secondly, the telephone voice thing is very early 2000, but I actually did that on this record because I thought it was funny. The last time this band played together was when that was popular so I thought it was actually fitting to be a bit dated.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:19 pm

T-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:20 am
So many things in this thread. One of my old bands that was together in the early 2000's randomly got back together over the winter and recorded an entire album remotely. Most of the guys were new to recording at home and EVERY TRACK CAME TO ME IN STEREO, but they were all mono of course. So that was funny to see this in this thread.

Secondly, the telephone voice thing is very early 2000, but I actually did that on this record because I thought it was funny. The last time this band played together was when that was popular so I thought it was actually fitting to be a bit dated.
Ah, yes, the telephone voice... Often with the dirty drum loop.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:50 pm

So guilty . . . :shock:
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:52 pm

T-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:20 am

We recorded the telephone voice in 1996 - using an actual rotary-dial telephone, placed in a large tub to amplify it a bit, with some large-diaphragm condensor set up in directly at the speaker. I called from the internal house line (no cellphones back then) and we recorded that.