PM1000 Capacitor List for re-cap project - look ok?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: PM1000 Capacitor List for re-cap project - look ok?

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 12, 2021 6:06 am

did you add bypass caps? and of course credit goes to Jim Williams for the tip... but he suggested (and I did it on many) adding Wima MKS2 0.01uF caps across all of the larger Electrolytic caps. the idea being the high frequencies will "bypass" and give you more "air". I'm sure you need golden ears but I usually did it just in case (although I never determined I could absolutely hear the difference - I'm sure it depends on the source too). I also used some PolyStyrene 0.01uF caps on a few for the same purpose. They can be soldered on the underside of the board and are not polarity sensitive.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: PM1000 Capacitor List for re-cap project - look ok?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed May 12, 2021 7:59 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:06 am
did you add bypass caps? and of course credit goes to Jim Williams for the tip... but he suggested (and I did it on many) adding Wima MKS2 0.01uF caps across all of the larger Electrolytic caps. the idea being the high frequencies will "bypass" and give you more "air". I'm sure you need golden ears but I usually did it just in case (although I never determined I could absolutely hear the difference - I'm sure it depends on the source too). I also used some PolyStyrene 0.01uF caps on a few for the same purpose. They can be soldered on the underside of the board and are not polarity sensitive.
I did not do that. Seems like something that is counter-intuitive to what makes them sound cool, to me. I have preamps that are higher fidelity/bandwidth, but also, fuck treble. I hate it. :wink:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com