permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Re: Cymbals/How far to go

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:00 am

drumsound wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:54 am
permanent hearing damage wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:35 am
i'm a 5B basher and have been cracking cymbals for much of the 25 years I've been playing. I kept a few that had sentimental value and recently sent two busted rides to a local cymbal maker to machine them down into a pair of 16" hihats. It was like $150 and well worth it to give some busted cymbals new life.

If you don't have a pile of busted cymbals around, I'm sure you could find some for next to nothing.
Who does that cut down service? I know the Maxwell will re-lathe cymbals, and I'm tempted to send them an 18" A Custom I only kinda like...

sorry for my tardy reply! I guess I don't log in so often when I'm looking here anymore!

I used Nicky Moon - https://www.nickymoon.com/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:50 am

Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:00 am
drumsound wrote:
i'm a 5B basher and have been cracking cymbals for much of the 25 years I've been playing. I kept a few that had sentimental value and recently sent two busted rides to a local cymbal maker to machine them down into a pair of 16" hihats. It was like $150 and well worth it to give some busted cymbals new life.

If you don't have a pile of busted cymbals around, I'm sure you could find some for next to nothing.
Who does that cut down service? I know the Maxwell will re-lathe cymbals, and I'm tempted to send them an 18" A Custom I only kinda like...

sorry for my tardy reply! I guess I don't log in so often when I'm looking here anymore!

I used Nicky Moon - https://www.nickymoon.com/
Thanks!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:04 am

drumsound wrote:

Jesse Simpson :^:

https://www.jessesimpson.com

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Bw, does anyone use their hats as extra crashes? .. I do it often, never seen it done otherwise.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:42 pm

vernier wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:19 pm
Bw, does anyone use their hats as extra crashes?
nope, most of the hats I have (good quality btw) sound kinda clangy to me as crashes. but I like em as hihats. Unless you are just talking about splashing/crashing them while semi-open? in that case, yes.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:59 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:42 pm
vernier wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:19 pm
Bw, does anyone use their hats as extra crashes?
nope, most of the hats I have (good quality btw) sound kinda clangy to me as crashes. but I like em as hihats. Unless you are just talking about splashing/crashing them while semi-open? in that case, yes.
Mostly the same. I do have some early 60s hats that I thought were OK crashes when I was younger, but I don't really like crashes that small.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:05 pm

Younger me could have done it...of course I was into RUDEs and first gen Z's, where there's not much difference between the hats and small crashes. They're all pretty clanky.

These days, I want crashes that speak, then get out of the way, typically larger and thinner than my hats.

I'd be more likely to go the other way - use a pair of thin crashes as a hihat.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."