Cymbals/How far to go

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

Re: Cymbals/How far to go

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:50 pm

It sounds like you only really need good hihats for now. If I'm understanding correctly. Personally, it's hard to really know how I'm going to like cymbals unless I'm there in person. I only really use hand hammered cymbals so more "production" cymbals may be more consistent and easier to just order.

Over the past few years, I've been getting newer cymbals so I don't have to tour with my vintage K's. I ended up finding about a Portland company Cymbal & Gong who has cymbals made to their specs in Turkey. Really the closest I could find to the old Zildjians. Not necessarily cheap, but not outrageous either. I ended up getting a pair of their 15" revival series hats and they are just gorgeous. Smooth, but not quite as washy as the 16" old K hats that I've had forever. Looks like they're around $450. I don't know if you've got a good local drum shop near you but it's always worth going in somewhere to try things out and see what speaks to you. I've ended up with a full set of C&G cymbals for touring and actually the ride and crash are my studio go-to's, over my old K rides, which I'm now *considering* selling.

I agree with the others that say it would be worth it to borrow or rent from someone else on this short notice. It's worth it, to me, to spend more money to get something great rather than trying to find a middle compromise and potentially not being really satisfied in the end, and those are the types of purchases you don't want to rush. Does the studio have cymbals on hand? They might have something perfect for this recording.

Good luck!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:19 am

Wait... You recorded Steve Jordan? And he used 17-inch hats? THAT’s why those suckers always look so big on TV! I thought they were 15’s...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:32 am

Gregg Juke wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:19 am
Wait... You recorded Steve Jordan? And he used 17-inch hats? THAT’s why those suckers always look so big on TV! I thought they were 15’s...

GJ
I did FOH/recorded demos/studio guitar tech'd for Soul Asylum,we did an opening tour with Expensive Winos early 90's. We got the warning from the road manager-"Don't try to keep up with Keith-Many have died."
I am the Walnut

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:00 pm

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:32 am
Gregg Juke wrote:

GJ
I did FOH/recorded demos/studio guitar tech'd for Soul Asylum,we did an opening tour with Expensive Winos early 90's. We got the warning from the road manager-"Don't try to keep up with Keith-Many have died."
I think I saw that tour at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:57 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:00 pm
Burnt Ernie wrote:
Gregg Juke wrote:

GJ
That tour was wonderful,if a little frustrating,since we were doing 45 minutes every 2 or 3 days. Wasnt used to that slow of a schedule,as we were road dawgs at that point/300 shows a year. Band and crew were wonderful. Since we were the opening act,i prepared myself for the sonic castration deal-LOUD rock band opening for LEGENDS as in-you get 85 db at FOH. It was not so. A LOTTA fun,and Wino's were on fire. Got to sit behind Keith's rig with Pierre (his tech) a few times. SUCH AWESOME TONES.
I am the Walnut

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:02 pm

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:57 pm
drumsound wrote:
Burnt Ernie wrote:

That tour was wonderful,if a little frustrating,since we were doing 45 minutes every 2 or 3 days. Wasnt used to that slow of a schedule,as we were road dawgs at that point/300 shows a year. Band and crew were wonderful. Since we were the opening act,i prepared myself for the sonic castration deal-LOUD rock band opening for LEGENDS as in-you get 85 db at FOH. It was not so. A LOTTA fun,and Wino's were on fire. Got to sit behind Keith's rig with Pierre (his tech) a few times. SUCH AWESOME TONES.
After that,we stole Winos' keyboard tech,the lovely Joey Huffman when SA added a keyboard guy (B3/Wurly). Hafta laugh-one show,Ivan Neville was "under the weather",and kept passing out between songs,so he made Joey bring him a bunch of chocolate cake,which he ate between songs.
I am the Walnut

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:31 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:02 pm
Burnt Ernie wrote:
drumsound wrote:

After that,we stole Winos' keyboard tech,the lovely Joey Huffman when SA added a keyboard guy (B3/Wurly). Hafta laugh-one show,Ivan Neville was "under the weather",and kept passing out between songs,so he made Joey bring him a bunch of chocolate cake,which he ate between songs.
Those are both awesome stories.

I tried to get the Soul Aslyum gig when it was announced that Grant(?) was no longer in the band.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:26 am

drumsound wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:31 am
Burnt Ernie wrote:
Burnt Ernie wrote:

I tried to get the Soul Aslyum gig when it was announced that Grant(?) was no longer in the band.
It's funny-he moved up north and bought a lodge with his wife and settlement money,moved back to mpls 10 years ago,and he and I are carpenters at a small (20 people) design/build/remodeling company here. If you're in champaign,you must remember Poster Children,right? We did a bunch of shows over the years at Mabel's
I am the Walnut

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:20 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:26 am
drumsound wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:31 am
Burnt Ernie wrote:

It's funny-he moved up north and bought a lodge with his wife and settlement money,moved back to mpls 10 years ago,and he and I are carpenters at a small (20 people) design/build/remodeling company here. If you're in champaign,you must remember Poster Children,right? We did a bunch of shows over the years at Mabel's
Wow, small world. I'm in Bloomington, about 40 miles from Champaign. The Poster Children are now based here. Rose and Rick both have teaching gigs at Illinois State. I do a recording 'unit' for Rose's Music Business class each spring. They are both great people, and talented in many ways.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:53 am

I went to school at UofI; Mabel's, my then-girlfriend cocktailed there for George and Michelle Faber, '80-'82. Lotsa great bands, besides Stronghold, Jason and the Scorchers were the Friday happy-hour $3 cover band for a few months, Elvis Bros., Vertabrats, Off Broadway, Capt. Rat ... I bartended at Red Lion (one in Bloomington) and Studio One.

I jammed a few times with Poster Children's John Herndon (Tortoise - he was on Seth Myers a cuppla weeks ago all week) when he was "Johnny Machine", playing for Precious Wax Drippings. I'll always remember the cannon kick he had, about 12" x 24", as I recall.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:59 pm

DrummerMan wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:50 pm
It sounds like you only really need good hihats for now. If I'm understanding correctly. Personally, it's hard to really know how I'm going to like cymbals unless I'm there in person. I only really use hand hammered cymbals so more "production" cymbals may be more consistent and easier to just order.

Over the past few years, I've been getting newer cymbals so I don't have to tour with my vintage K's. I ended up finding about a Portland company Cymbal & Gong who has cymbals made to their specs in Turkey. Really the closest I could find to the old Zildjians. Not necessarily cheap, but not outrageous either. I ended up getting a pair of their 15" revival series hats and they are just gorgeous. Smooth, but not quite as washy as the 16" old K hats that I've had forever. Looks like they're around $450. I don't know if you've got a good local drum shop near you but it's always worth going in somewhere to try things out and see what speaks to you. I've ended up with a full set of C&G cymbals for touring and actually the ride and crash are my studio go-to's, over my old K rides, which I'm now *considering* selling.

I agree with the others that say it would be worth it to borrow or rent from someone else on this short notice. It's worth it, to me, to spend more money to get something great rather than trying to find a middle compromise and potentially not being really satisfied in the end, and those are the types of purchases you don't want to rush. Does the studio have cymbals on hand? They might have something perfect for this recording.

Good luck!
They have a crash I really like ..and want!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:47 am

vvv wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:53 am
I went to school at UofI; Mabel's, my then-girlfriend cocktailed there for George and Michelle Faber, '80-'82. Lotsa great bands, besides Stronghold, Jason and the Scorchers were the Friday happy-hour $3 cover band for a few months, Elvis Bros., Vertabrats, Off Broadway, Capt. Rat ... I bartended at Red Lion (one in Bloomington) and Studio One.

I jammed a few times with Poster Children's John Herndon (Tortoise - he was on Seth Myers a cuppla weeks ago all week) when he was "Johnny Machine", playing for Precious Wax Drippings. I'll always remember the cannon kick he had, about 12" x 24", as I recall.
That was probably a fun time to be at UofI! Mark Rubel bass player from Capt. Rat, and owner of Pogo Studio is a good friend of mine. He's now co-dierctor of the Blackbird Acedemy in Nashville and Pogo is now in Ray Kennedy's old space, where Car Wheels on a Gravel Road and early Steve Earle stuff was done.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:37 am

I knew that about Rubel - he's here sometimes, right? Around that same time, Slink Rand was a local guitar hero, his gig-mobile was a hearse.

After UofI I went to NIU. Jimmy Chamberlin was playing regularly inna cover band there - cool to watch him improve, which he seemed to do incredibly quickly - became one of my fave drummers. Stan Doty (sound guy/mixer/producer for Wilco) owned a club (The Uprising) that that same girlfriend I mentioned cocktailed in. I played that club years later in the early 90's. Matter of fact, I was in my first bands with gigs there, about '84 or '85, when I was in school and bartending in the local disco. The hottest local band was The Service, who became New Duncan Imperials (still are) and now are also The Imperial Sound. As I recall, Capt. Rat came through there a few times in the mid-80's.

Writing my bio here, ain't I? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:52 pm

vvv wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:37 am
I knew that about Rubel - he's here sometimes, right? Around that same time, Slink Rand was a local guitar hero, his gig-mobile was a hearse.

After UofI I went to NIU. Jimmy Chamberlin was playing regularly inna cover band there - cool to watch him improve, which he seemed to do incredibly quickly - became one of my fave drummers. Stan Doty (sound guy/mixer/producer for Wilco) owned a club (The Uprising) that that same girlfriend I mentioned cocktailed in. I played that club years later in the early 90's. Matter of fact, I was in my first bands with gigs there, about '84 or '85, when I was in school and bartending in the local disco. The hottest local band was The Service, who became New Duncan Imperials (still are) and now are also The Imperial Sound. As I recall, Capt. Rat came through there a few times in the mid-80's.

Writing my bio here, ain't I? :twisted:
Haha, I was at NIU from 88-92. Spent a lot of time at Otto's listening to music. I closed down and sat for a while and a couple of years ago they went to tear the building down and it was infested with bees to the point that people could see the swarm all over town, I heard.

AND I'm going to see Jimmy Chamberlain right here in town next month.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:26 pm

Cool.

I bartended at McCabe's for 3 years, but I got to be friends with Stan one night, I think drinking in Wild Bill's? And yeah, I think Otto's was called Uprising before Stan changed the name. I think I played there in Denials, or Burnt, or both ...

I recall seeing Green on Red there.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.