Sound Torque Podcast- with Joel Hamilton

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Sound Torque Podcast- with Joel Hamilton

Post by losthighway » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:15 pm

I've been really enjoying this conversation between these guys and Mr. Hamilton. Joel used to be a pillar in the tapeop community and has kind of disappeared from the board/magazine in the past several years as he's been expanding his Brooklyn studio into being a kind of Shangri-la/ multi studio complex. He's been very generous in sharing some of his wisdom with me in a few random instances, including the time he let me sit in on a mix session at the old Studio G (I just missed the Black Keys with Mos Def by 1 day!).

One of my favorite quotes from this talk (roughly):

"If you grab an eq with a 12k shelf for your lead vocals and start turning it up suddenly it might start getting better, and then after that you've just ruined it. So 'better' is just this tiny island."

There's not a lot of practical techniques discussion, more philosophical rants about the purpose of a producer (rather convincing to me, an Albini-lite skeptic toward the role), and the process of improving your craft.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: Sound Torque Podcast- with Joel Hamilton

Post by Rodgre » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:33 am

Thanks for hipping me to this podcast! I loved the interview with Joel. What a smart, well-spoken, humble and talented guy! I've always had a ton of respect for him from his days being more active on this board. His thoughts about production and why we make the decisions we do were very fascinating to me. It made me feel like I'm not alone or crazy (debatable) in how I think about production.

Granted, it's easier to get sort of deep and almost existential about production when it's Elvis Costello or Aaron Neville and a little harder when it's a garage band from the next town over looking to make a demo. I still try to apply the same kinds of thoughts to any project I do.

I've been checking out other episodes. Great stuff!

Roger

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:31 am

Rodgre wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:33 am
Granted, it's easier to get sort of deep and almost existential about production when it's Elvis Costello or Aaron Neville and a little harder when it's a garage band from the next town over looking to make a demo. I still try to apply the same kinds of thoughts to any project I do.

Roger
Definitely harder, but my take away was that it's a universal concept and what really stuck with me about this interview was how he kept coming back to how that extra 10% of caring about the project and everyone involved, whether it be physical comforts or sonic integrity, is what sets the real engineers and producers apart from the rest in terms of pulling out an artist's best work.

Great interview.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:08 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:31 am
what really stuck with me about this interview was how he kept coming back to how that extra 10% of caring about the project and everyone involved, whether it be physical comforts or sonic integrity, is what sets the real engineers and producers apart from the rest in terms of pulling out an artist's best work.
Agreed. It really makes me check myself about being present and focused. If someone is paying you money to facilitate their art you can be fairly cordial and work competently, or you can make them feel important and that they have 100% of your attention. As an artist the latter is going to be far more stimulating/inspiring. It's also nicer as an engineer/producer to look back on some sessions from years ago as this really intense, productive time, and not like when you had to finish painting a wall, or trimming a hedge.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:51 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:08 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:31 am
what really stuck with me about this interview was how he kept coming back to how that extra 10% of caring about the project and everyone involved, whether it be physical comforts or sonic integrity, is what sets the real engineers and producers apart from the rest in terms of pulling out an artist's best work.
Agreed. It really makes me check myself about being present and focused. If someone is paying you money to facilitate their art you can be fairly cordial and work competently, or you can make them feel important and that they have 100% of your attention. As an artist the latter is going to be far more stimulating/inspiring. It's also nicer as an engineer/producer to look back on some sessions from years ago as this really intense, productive time, and not like when you had to finish painting a wall, or trimming a hedge.
My other big takeaway was to assert my knowledge and opinion more. I've always been "well, I'm in the service industry, so whatever they want!" about it, but they're coming to ME for what I know, so no more of that in instances where I know I'm right about something.

covid down time has given me a ton of perspective on what makes for a good session and end result.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com