Anybody bought anything from "Audiosavings"?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

Anybody bought anything from "Audiosavings"?

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:38 pm

They've got something I'm looking to buy for like $170 less than everywhere else, which seems a little suspect to me, though tempting. Found a few old reviews online which were mixed. Just wondering if it's scammy or not...
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Anybody bought anything from "Audiosavings"?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:13 pm

Never heard of it. Looked it up.

I absolutely never buy from any company that does not have any "about us" page,
where you can see real humans names and a physical location.

I'd stay away from this one.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:41 pm

They have an "about us" that apparently isn't linked from the homepage: https://www.audiosavings.com/about-us/

And it's still pretty cagey. No address, no area code.

Google autocompleted "Is Audiosavings legit?"

They're also apparently on ebay, with a 98.4% positive over 700k transactions.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 pm

The Scum wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:41 pm
They have an "about us" that apparently isn't linked from the homepage: https://www.audiosavings.com/about-us/

Yeah, their reverb rating is pretty good too, but I suppose that stuff can be faked, though I guess if I ordered through either reverb or ebay I would be pretty well protected if they did some shady shit. Still gotta sell some shut before I can afford to by the mics I want so I've got a little time to mull it over before deciding.
Geoff Mann

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:06 am

DrummerMan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 pm
The Scum wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:41 pm

Yeah, their reverb rating is pretty good too, but I suppose that stuff can be faked, though I guess if I ordered through either reverb or ebay I would be pretty well protected if they did some shady shit. Still gotta sell some shut before I can afford to by the mics I want so I've got a little time to mull it over before deciding.
Yeah, buy through Reverb. They're amazing when it comes to resolving disputes and such. Yes, there are fees, but it's so worth it to keep that marketplace alive.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:37 am

I dunno, their website doesn’t look the most legit to me. Also any company that mixes double DIN stereos with musical instruments throws red flags. Simply googling “audio savings reviews” immediately returns bad reviews.

I often check reseller ratings before I buy.. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.resell ... dioSavings

They do have a phone number you can call...

I probably wouldn’t directly give these guys my info...maybe buy through PayPal through Reverb or eBay.

My guess is if they are a legit operation, perhaps they are selling factory returns or B stock, and that creates the price discrepancy. If it were me, I’d probably just try to gain a price match from a different vendor...but the different vendor would probably say they are a scam.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:28 pm

UPDATE:

I called audiosavings today, and after being on hold for like 10 minutes got through to someone. They claim they are an authorized Beyerdynamic retailer on their site, but beyerdynamic doesn't list them on their dealer list. I asked the guy I talked to if they were in fact authorized and he said yes, but when I asked why they weren't listed he said he didn't know and I should email them to get the answer, then he kept asking me why I wanted to know, whether I was another retailer, or what my purpose in enquiring was. Super fishy.

I hung up and tried to send them an email through their online form, which, when I pressed send said "unable to submit your request. Please try again later." Even more fishy.

At that point, I called Beyerdynamic to get confirmation from them, AND LO AND BEHOLD, they told me that Audiosavings IS IN FACT an authorized retailer and the only reason they're not listed is just because the site hasn't been updated.

Still feels weird and I've seen both pretty good and really bad reviews for them. Definitely would order through Reverb if I get stuff, but still, we're talking about over $300 in savings on a pair of m160s and I could definitely use the savings right now...
Geoff Mann

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:43 pm

I've found that https://www.proaudiostar.com/search/?q=m160 and https://www.altomusic.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=m160 are usually pretty competitive on pricing - especially demo or open box (and sometimes I wonder if they sell "open box" even if it isn't so they can avoid MSRP... but I have no proof of that). call them and usually will make a deal with you.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:47 am

DrummerMan wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:28 pm
...but still, we're talking about over $300 in savings on a pair of m160s and I could definitely use the savings right now...
Granted, this was about 10 years ago, but I called Full Compass and just asked outright how cheap they could let an M160 go, and I got it for like $430 or something insane like that.

Might be worth a shot to call some legit dealers and just ask. Worst case, they say "no".
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 am

DrummerMan wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:28 pm
UPDATE:
At that point, I called Beyerdynamic to get confirmation from them, AND LO AND BEHOLD, they told me that Audiosavings IS IN FACT an authorized retailer and the only reason they're not listed is just because the site hasn't been updated.
If you're looking for Beyer, there's also thomannmusic.com and juno.co.uk (juno's selection seems to be thinner these days, but shipping tends to be cheaper.) It's not unusual to find prices from Europe that are good enough to justify somewhat higher shipping costs.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:03 pm

I had some "eBay bucks" about to expire so I just bought some long mic cables (for my PA system which has powered speakers) off eBay and I just realized that it is from AudioSavings. They sent me this in an email, which is disappointing...

Due to a sudden increase in demand all orders placed today will ship in 5-6 business days. Tracking will be e-mailed to you at that time.

maybe they will ship faster, maybe not. it tells me they are probably playing some kind of distribution game (like they don't actually stock anything themselves) and they are probably just a front end ordering stuff from overseas.
Mike

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:19 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:03 pm
I had some "eBay bucks" about to expire so I just bought some long mic cables (for my PA system which has powered speakers) off eBay and I just realized that it is from AudioSavings. They sent me this in an email, which is disappointing...

Due to a sudden increase in demand all orders placed today will ship in 5-6 business days. Tracking will be e-mailed to you at that time.

maybe they will ship faster, maybe not. it tells me they are probably playing some kind of distribution game (like they don't actually stock anything themselves) and they are probably just a front end ordering stuff from overseas.
Thoughts and prayers :shock:

I’d just get a refund, I can’t imagine some kind of surge in demand they received (perhaps all the attention they got from this thread…)

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:09 am

today it says shipped so maybe just a generic "under-commit, over-deliver..." message.
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed May 05, 2021 9:45 am

I also notice that they have the Beyer M160 listed twice with two different prices.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu May 06, 2021 7:00 am

I did get my order in a reasonable timeframe. the cables (a pair of 50ft XLRs) were as expected - low cost - and they were at $27 for the pair! but I thought I'd try them for my small PA system that has powered speakers. and the bright orange color option might keep the band from tripping over them. they are very flexible (not stiff). anyway, did a quick check on them both and they both seem to be OK. The test of time will be the real measurement I'm sure.
Mike