Re: Should it stay or should it go?

Post by Rodgre » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:23 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:00 am
Rodgre wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:44 am
. I debate on parting with the MicMix,
Roger
I sold mine years ago & still regret it. Never had an Orban, but it's definitely in a different category than the Furmans--more mannered & controlled than most spring verbs.
The funny thing is that I always thought my MicMix did a great simulation of the medium plate preset on a MicroVerb II. How's that for irony?

Mine is the XL404 "Plate Synthesizer", which I don't see quite as many out there. It is less "springy" than the others, for sure. Maybe that's what makes the others more useful in a world where "realistic" reverbs are plentiful in-the-box, but odd and quirky springs are less so.

Roger

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Rodgre wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:23 am

Mine is the XL404 "Plate Synthesizer", which I don't see quite as many out there. It is less "springy" than the others, for sure. Maybe that's what makes the others more useful in a world where "realistic" reverbs are plentiful in-the-box, but odd and quirky springs are less so.

Roger
The XL404 looks really cool, but point taken--their stuff tends to be much smoother & cleaner than a typical spring. And honestly, right now the only spring in my rack is the dirtiest and quirkiest one I own (also the smallest, which helps too!)

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:53 pm

Rodgre wrote:
Rodgre wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:44 am
. I debate on parting with the MicMix,
Roger
I sold mine years ago & still regret it. Never had an Orban, but it's definitely in a different category than the Furmans--more mannered & controlled than most spring verbs.
The funny thing is that I always thought my MicMix did a great simulation of the medium plate preset on a MicroVerb II. How's that for irony?

Roger
Dibs if you decide to unload it.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:09 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:53 pm
Rodgre wrote:

Roger
Dibs if you decide to unload it.
Dang! Ill take it,as well. SHoulda never sold this
I am the Walnut

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:11 pm

Attachments
masterroom.jpg
masterroom.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
I am the Walnut

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:11 pm

If you're in a DAW w/plugins, I don't see the point. As for mic and pre, that might be a different story.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat May 01, 2021 6:46 am

vernier wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:11 pm
If you're in a DAW w/plugins, I don't see the point. As for mic and pre, that might be a different story.
I still have a dbx 1066 compressor for occasional tracking. Helps to compress my own vocals for monitoring via IEM earbuds, which is something where you don't want any latency at all.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat May 01, 2021 11:40 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:11 pm
I have this same reverb unit and i love it. I think I first read about it in Tape Op as a piece that Ken Stringfellow from the Posies raved about in his interview.

I've owned several other spring reverbs over the past 15 years and this is the only one I kept. It has a super nice grain to it's tails.

as far as the OG question goes - I think it's really important to have gear set up and integrated as simply as possible otherwise it just sits on the shelf.
If you can have these pieces set up and patched in and quickly a/b when you start tracking something, you're way more likely to start using it again more often.

For my workflow, having a board that I monitor off of - with auxes and effects patched in - is key to getting the most out of effects units and pedals. I print a lot of effects as i go and the sound that the artist hears helps to inspire their performances (rather than saying "this will sound great when we add effects blah blah") and it makes my sounds a little more unique when I use the pedals and stuff rather than a plug in that everybody uses a lot and is more recognizable.

Also I have certain chains connected most of the time and a lot of the gear has bypasses so I can easily pop it out of the chain if it's not needed. Certain gear just goes well together and I find it helpful to keep certain mics into certain pres, followed by specific eqs or compressors. It makes it so much faster to go with the flow of ideas in the moment.

I've parted with some nice gear in the last few years - dyna-mite compressors, sound workshop spring, silvertone electric, sg - that just wasn't getting used and put that money into stuff i use all the time (mellotron, some new pedals, different mics/compressors etc)

For me it's not so much whether the piece is good or not - it's "do i use it?" - if not, I try to move it along and replace with stuff that I will use.
the new rules : there are no rules

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat May 01, 2021 3:11 pm

joninc wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:40 am
have gear set up and integrated as simply as possible otherwise it just sits on the shelf.
that's an excellent point! it will never get patched in and used when it's sitting in the closet, garage, storage unit, etc. :lol:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com