RANT: "in your spare time.."

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Re: RANT: "in your spare time.."

Post by joninc » Wed May 12, 2021 1:20 pm

I never understood the "studio rat" thing - it's not at all sustainable for me and definitely won't yield my best work. And most of my experiences with guys who do that were not nearly as productive.

I try to (almost) always take 2 days off a week - and I don't work 12 hour days (i do 9).

I've been doing that and am still feeling a bit of burn out - I think it's likely Covid related, just missing all the outside activities that help lead to a balanced life, Work has been quite steady for me throughout the last year so I'm trying to slow down and work 4 day weeks for a bit and block some bigger chunks of time off this summer to refresh and refill the creative tank.

Even now when I'm mixing I think it's better to take an hour mid day and go for a walk and come back with fresh ears and energy to make better choices - rather than work that hour and see diminishing returns...

work smarter - not harder!
the new rules : there are no rules

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: RANT: "in your spare time.."

Post by drumsound » Thu May 13, 2021 8:49 pm

joninc wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:20 pm
I never understood the "studio rat" thing - it's not at all sustainable for me and definitely won't yield my best work. And most of my experiences with guys who do that were not nearly as productive.

I try to (almost) always take 2 days off a week - and I don't work 12 hour days (i do 9).

I've been doing that and am still feeling a bit of burn out - I think it's likely Covid related, just missing all the outside activities that help lead to a balanced life, Work has been quite steady for me throughout the last year so I'm trying to slow down and work 4 day weeks for a bit and block some bigger chunks of time off this summer to refresh and refill the creative tank.

Even now when I'm mixing I think it's better to take an hour mid day and go for a walk and come back with fresh ears and energy to make better choices - rather than work that hour and see diminishing returns...

work smarter - not harder!
Part of why I like to mix alone is that I can take walks if I feel like a need a break.