Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: New Barn Studio build out

Post by Rodgre » Mon May 10, 2021 3:17 am

vernier wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 pm
Thats an awesome place. I wouldn't do a thing ! ! .. ever hear the album "Harvest" ?
Thank you, but I'm not sure Harvest was done in February in New England. I might want to insulate the walls a bit. Ha!

That's probably going to be the biggest job - insulating and putting in an air gap, insulating again and putting up sheetrock walls with hard wood over them. After 20 years of working in a place that was wonderful but not exactly climate-controlled, it's a deal-breaker for me to not have a modicum of heat, AC and ventilation in this space. I can't even count how many days I worked when the temperature never got above 40 degrees in the past. Musicians can't perform like that and I don't want to sit there wrapped in an electric blanket (which I usually would give to my dog so he would stop shivering). It gets very cold up here in the winter.

Roger

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon May 10, 2021 6:10 am

you might look into something like this as a first layer to just seal out the elements, and then build whatever inner structure you need. you might even be able to apply this to the bottom of your floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-xPIgRLuBE

I'm sure the experts at the "professional studio" forums won't tell you the same, but they don't own your budget... I know a guy that had this in the ceiling of a room he used for recording/rehearsals. Yeah, it's reflective, but probably no worse than untreated sheetrock so it's not replacing acoustic treatment. this is to keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summers, and prevent some of the sound from escaping (or entering).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon May 10, 2021 6:20 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:10 am
Yeah, it's reflective, but probably no worse than untreated sheetrock so it's not replacing acoustic treatment.
You mean just leaving this stuff exposed on the outside and not putting sheetrock over it?

My ultimate plan is to cover the inner walls with hardwood for whatever sonic character I can get from it, but mostly so the space has more of a "barn" aesthetic instead of flat sheetrock. I know that's probably superfluous and who really cares, but this being the "dream space" I've wanted for 40 years, I really want to do it up nicely. I'm not 100% sure what that hardwood would look like. I'm not really picturing channeled plywood or the kind of paneling you had in your rec-room in the 70s. I'm also not imagining that it's going to look like the Power Station either, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.

Roger

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 am

Rodgre wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:20 am
digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:10 am
Yeah, it's reflective, but probably no worse than untreated sheetrock so it's not replacing acoustic treatment.
You mean just leaving this stuff exposed on the outside and not putting sheetrock over it?

My ultimate plan is to cover the inner walls with hardwood for whatever sonic character I can get from it, but mostly so the space has more of a "barn" aesthetic instead of flat sheetrock. I know that's probably superfluous and who really cares, but this being the "dream space" I've wanted for 40 years, I really want to do it up nicely. I'm not 100% sure what that hardwood would look like. I'm not really picturing channeled plywood or the kind of paneling you had in your rec-room in the 70s. I'm also not imagining that it's going to look like the Power Station either, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.

Roger
Seems like the spray foam would be good on the roof of the existing structure, before you start building the 'inside walls' that make up the actual studio. You could probably use it on those inner walls too, and the cover with your barn wood vibe. I think Dave MacKinnon did just that in his garage build out a year or so ago.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 pm

yes, I was thinking you would spray this foam on the inside - it would seal up all the cracks for you. otherwise you'd probably need some kind of Tyvek or appropriate moisture barrier first and then the pink insulation, etc.. you'll have to determine which is more cost effective. and then you could put double-sheetrock or whatever you plan to do for inner walls/ceiling. if there was any way to recycle some of that barn wood to use on top of the sheetrock, it might look really nice.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Mon May 10, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon May 10, 2021 12:10 pm

When I did my garage, I used a high(er) density closed cell spray foam. The outer walls are decades old stucco and I was worried about micro cracks and pieces chipping off, so I figured a layer of spray foam between the studs would help seal it all up before I put up my pink fluffy and inner walls.

For the ceiling, it was just wood slats with the roofing material on top (no sheathing), so to add some bulk to that nd seal it up I glued/tacked Mass Loaded Vinyl in the cavities (I know, I know, that's a controversial product, but it was a lot easier to get in awkward uneven cavities and more water resistant [just in case] than trying to perfectly cut sheetrock to fit), then I spray foamed all the corners where the MLV met the joists to seal it all up.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sun May 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Rodgre wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:17 am
vernier wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 pm
Thats an awesome place. I wouldn't do a thing ! ! .. ever hear the album "Harvest" ?
Thank you, but I'm not sure Harvest was done in February in New England. I might want to insulate the walls a bit. Ha!

That's probably going to be the biggest job - insulating and putting in an air gap, insulating again and putting up sheetrock walls with hard wood over them. After 20 years of working in a place that was wonderful but not exactly climate-controlled, it's a deal-breaker for me to not have a modicum of heat, AC and ventilation in this space. I can't even count how many days I worked when the temperature never got above 40 degrees in the past. Musicians can't perform like that and I don't want to sit there wrapped in an electric blanket (which I usually would give to my dog so he would stop shivering). It gets very cold up here in the winter.

Roger
Yep I understand keeping it comfortable, but looks-wise ..would be neat if it could stay looking like a barn. :)

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon May 24, 2021 3:17 am

vernier wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Yep I understand keeping it comfortable, but looks-wise ..would be neat if it could stay looking like a barn. :)
That's my ultimate plan. I want it to look and feel like a barn on the inside and plan to put up more wood over the inner sheetrock walls for aesthetic purposes/vibe, at least. This is going to be my place for as long as I can still plug in a microphone so I want it to be as close to my dream as possible.

Roger

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon May 24, 2021 7:59 am

drumsound wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:17 am
Seems like the spray foam would be good on the roof of the existing structure, before you start building the 'inside walls' that make up the actual studio. You could probably use it on those inner walls too, and the cover with your barn wood vibe. I think Dave MacKinnon did just that in his garage build out a year or so ago.
Spray foam would be a great move for the outer leaf. It acts as it's own vapour barrier. On it's own it's not great for soundproofing but it would give you a very tight seal which will help immensely with soundproofing once you add an inner layer.

I did my small garage studio with it. There is no other insulation or soundproofing and it's ok. Not amazing but decent enough that I can record drums and amps in a residential neighbourhood in a large city. My closest neighbour is about 10' away. No noise complaints yet. It has also stood up to Canadian winters. Your winters may actually be a little tougher than our, Lake Ontario has a moderating effect here, but it would still be a strong choice. I heat my place with one small baseboard heater and often have to turn it off once I'm in the studio for a few hours.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Mon May 24, 2021 2:35 pm

Rodgre wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 3:17 am
vernier wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:40 pm

That's my ultimate plan. I want it to look and feel like a barn on the inside and plan to put up more wood over the inner sheetrock walls for aesthetic purposes/vibe, at least. This is going to be my place for as long as I can still plug in a microphone so I want it to be as close to my dream as possible.

Roger
Awesome, awesome. :^: