policies on vax or non-vax

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

policies on vax or non-vax

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri May 21, 2021 11:53 am

So I'm in Texas and the state has declared masks off, blah blah (Yosemite Sam pistols in the air bang bang...) it's a bit scary but I'm also ready for it to be real because I really want to open the studio and I want to start playing again. And the CDC says its OK too now. For the last 1.5 years I have been on the cautious side for sure.

if you are opening your studio again, I would like to hear your policy (or just opinions) on vax vs. non-vax? For me, if it's not vocals, then it's pretty straightforward -- I can ask people to wear masks still. But we have some vocals to do too... If you believe the science (and I generally do) then the non-vaxed are at higher risk than the vaxed. So should I not worry about them because I got my shots? I feel like everyone who wants to get the vaccine in my area has probably already done it by now. But I know people that have not for various reasons (some I understand, some I do not).

My band will be rehearsing at my studio for the first time in about a year and a half, but we are all vaxed so I'm not as worried about that (yet, let's see what happens). Once we play gigs again that might be a different story, but baby steps...

thoughts?
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Fri May 21, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

DrummerMan
george martin

Re: policies on vax or non-vax

Post by DrummerMan » Fri May 21, 2021 12:46 pm

I do not have a studio that is open to the public, but this is what I would probably do if I did.

Do you have a separate vocal booth? If so, I would say mask off is fine while you're singing in the booth, but on all other times. I would still wear my mask unless MAYBE if everyone present could show proof of their vaccination.
I personally have a high risk person in my house who had a serious anaphalactic reaction to shot #1 and therefor can't take shot #2, plus I've got kids at home, one of whom is too young to get the shot, so I'm still on the more cautious side.

I don't live in Texas so I don't know how folks will feel about still masking up, but I honestly have more respect for businesses who are clear about taking each others' heath safety seriously. I'm sure whatever decision you make will make some people happy and others angry.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri May 21, 2021 12:51 pm

I actually just remembered that this past fall I did a vocal session in my one room studio. Basically I cordoned off a corner with hanging packing blankets and she took off her mask when she was singing and then put it right back on. I was double masked and also she was someone I know well who i knew was also on the very cautious side of her interactions outside her house at the time so I felt comfortable with the limited exposure, especially as I have decent airflow in the studio.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 21, 2021 1:22 pm

I've had a cuppla guys over recording and jamming, a cuppla-3 times.

Doors/windows open when not playing, fan always on in a window in the next room (dining room if ya know ranch houses) and I have a good room air purifier with covid-killing UV, allegedly cleans an avg. room in under a hour, that I put on post-festivities.

Also, we keep 10' apart when playing. As the only singer, the vocal volume is high, and I vocalize very quietly.

When we take cocktail breaks, we walk out side.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 21, 2021 3:04 pm

I've been doing masked unless singing for a while. As more people are vaccinated, I'm going with CDC guidelines and if people are vaccinated, I'm not requiring masks. Working on a mix recently I wore mine (even though I'm vaccinated) because the client wasn't.

Two bands of vaccinated folks have rehearsed. I have my first gig tonight. Not sure what I'll have to do there, but it's outside...

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri May 21, 2021 4:06 pm

No sessions here in Ontario probably til at least September. We're just starting to take baby steps out of lockdown. Summer looks likely to be a repeat of last year.
That said, when things do start opening up and sessions start up again I'll be sticking to what-ever the guidelines at the time are and won't be doing in person sessions with non vaccinated people at least until my 8 year old kid gets the shot.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri May 21, 2021 6:12 pm

I don't do audio full time, so I don't have to book my place out full time. I'm only taking vaccinated clients.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat May 22, 2021 7:23 am

I only do mastering, but vax'd folks are welcome to attend. Did my first attended session since Feb 2020 on Wednesday, we spent maybe two hours actually working, and another 8 just sitting and gabbing. Much needed!

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sat May 22, 2021 7:56 am

I had my first gig in 14 months last night in Baltimore. In the Fells Point bar area maybe 1 person in 10 was wearing a mask. In the bar we played in literally no one had a mask. Maybe around 10 pm staff announced if you’re not actually imbibing a drink, put a mask on. Compliance was minimal.

In that neighborhood in Baltimore, they have decided it’s just about over.

I’m fully vaccinated, but it was very weird. Walking around my DC neighborhood about half of people are wearing masks outdoors. That’s what I’m used to (and a month or two ago it was 90% masked outdoors).

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat May 22, 2021 9:18 am

standup wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:56 am
I had my first gig in 14 months last night in Baltimore. In the Fells Point bar area maybe 1 person in 10 was wearing a mask. In the bar we played in literally no one had a mask. Maybe around 10 pm staff announced if you’re not actually imbibing a drink, put a mask on. Compliance was minimal.

In that neighborhood in Baltimore, they have decided it’s just about over.

I’m fully vaccinated, but it was very weird. Walking around my DC neighborhood about half of people are wearing masks outdoors. That’s what I’m used to (and a month or two ago it was 90% masked outdoors).
This describes where I am too. On the same day the CDC said its okay to not wear a mask if you're vaccinated, I see only 1 or 2 people wearing a mask at my local pizza spot (including employees), next day at the grocery store / people bringing their whole damn families / young kids in no mask, etc... Statistically only 38% of the area has been fully vaccinated, so...I'd expect to see a few more, but its not like half of them would be wearing a mask correctly anyway.

We are relieved of wearing masks at work (work in a large building with less than 20 employees so...only the 3 anti-vaccine are required to wear masks...) and I've been fully vaccinated for 6 weeks now, and I think people could still stand to be more cautious in my area when shopping, but good luck with that.

Within a studio environment, I think you just have to assess your policies on a case by case scenario, and depending on your own risk and risk to other clients (as a business, what are the limits of your liability I wonder, if someone can prove they got sick at your studio?). You can take steps to clean your room / air, ask non singing clients to wear a mask or ask anyone to wear a mask in the control room, but I suspect if nothing else, probably the highest risk to your clients would be a vocal microphone - its not like its disposable or something you can avoid getting close to, and I think your ability to clean it thoroughly between uses are going to be somewhat limited.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat May 22, 2021 11:25 am

I should add that I go over the place with Clorox wipes after non vaxed people leave. Before the vaccine, I still taught privately and had a few 1-2 person things, and I wiped everything down after that. I also tried to space things out after having done that. Not having people in for a few days (more like weeks sometimes) and that seems to have worked.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat May 22, 2021 1:08 pm

thanks everyone that replied so far - I expected a mixed bag, and that's what we've got.
I should mention my studio is also "private" but I have a few projects and clients that are itching to get back to what they had started over a year ago. two rehearsals this weekend (Friday night, Saturday afternoon) with a band and it was great to play again. wow, it really felt good. all vaxed too. and I hope it works cause no turning back now...
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 22, 2021 11:26 pm

kslight wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:18 am
..., but I suspect if nothing else, probably the highest risk to your clients would be a vocal microphone - its not like its disposable or something you can avoid getting close to, and I think your ability to clean it thoroughly between uses are going to be somewhat limited.
Strikes me that any singer comes over I will ask to bring their own mic.

But also, I know that they sell foam shields for karaoke bars in multi-packs ... might be an idear to pick up summa those.

And a Beta 58.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun May 23, 2021 6:17 am

I don't really think I'm worried about the mics. I will just wait 3 or 4 days between uses. it's not like they are permanently damaged by the vid19. people used to sing with colds (and probably flu) all the time. I do ask clients not to lick the microphones and amplifiers though. for their safety.
Mike

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun May 23, 2021 8:02 am

Whether or not you're comfortable with or without masks, if you do any kind of paid business you should at least have a clear and published policy. This is as much a customer service issue as a health issue at this point.