Echoboy vs Echoboy jr

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

burn
pushin' record

Echoboy vs Echoboy jr

Post by burn » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:59 am

Hi want to buy this plugin since there is a big sale right now. Which of the 2 would you recommend me? My main use will be for slapback and analog degradation. If I get the JR, will I regret it ? ;)

It's 29$ vs 49$, not a big difference but the simplicity of the JR interface seem more practical and intuitive to use.

Thx!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Echoboy vs Echoboy jr

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:12 am

For $20 more I'd take Sr. It's very intuitive to use and the interface is pretty simple. There are extra layers of functionality that are super useful but they're not clogging up the main control area. I don't always dig deep but when you want to really tweak a sound the option is there.

burn
pushin' record

Post by burn » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:13 am

Thx ! And do the SR use more computing power or they are similar?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:42 am

Get the full version. The Jr. is cool. I use it when I want something fast and basic, adding pre-delay to reverb sends, utilitarian stuff.

The full version is insane though, and there are a TON of sick presets to get you moving. Definitely worth $49, by a lot.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:02 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:42 am
Get the full version. The Jr. is cool. I use it when I want something fast and basic, adding pre-delay to reverb sends, utilitarian stuff.

The full version is insane though, and there are a TON of sick presets to get you moving. Definitely worth $49, by a lot.
I was going to say something similar. I use Jr often when I'm using Little Plate as predelay, but anything 'more important' I bring up Sr so that the whole enchilada is at my fingertips.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:31 pm

burn wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:13 am
Thx ! And do the SR use more computing power or they are similar?
I don't have Jr to compare but I'm running a pretty old Mac Pro tower here and many instances of the full version don't bog down my system.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:39 pm

I've never noticed either version ever giving me an grief as far as cpu usage. (currently on a 2017 era i5 on Windows)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Phobos » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:22 am

I have both and use them a lot. The Junior probably sees more time, but I don't usually get real deep into delay. When I want to, Sr. is there. They both sound great.

What I'm interested in is the comment about applying pre delay to reverb sends... I did not know this trick. Please explain further!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 am

Phobos wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:22 am
I have both and use them a lot. The Junior probably sees more time, but I don't usually get real deep into delay. When I want to, Sr. is there. They both sound great.

What I'm interested in is the comment about applying pre delay to reverb sends... I did not know this trick. Please explain further!
It's common practice with more primitive hardware reverbs. Most reverb plugins have the feature built in, but some (like Little Plate, as Drumsound mentioned) don't, so using a delay set to 100% wet ahead of the reverb plugin allows you to adjust that parameter before it hits the verb.

It's a way to give the sense of space that reverb offers while still allowing the initial impact of the source to come through before the reverb affects it. I find it especially helpful on drums and vocals where you want the attack or impact to be preserved while still adding that space around it with the verb. It can give an even deeper sense of space in some situations. you can also get wild with it. I typically stay between 10 and 80 milliseconds, but you can get some cool slap-back sorta effects if you go higher. The trick is making sure it's not making weird phase artifacts, like obvious flams on drums and stuff like that, unless you like that sound.

It's a good way to simulate a room sound too. Read about Haas Effect.

Gated reverb on all that terrible 80s "metal" is an obvious example you could listen to.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:43 am

this thread has some good info too...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89738
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY