Problems with Mac Mini and Logic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

Problems with Mac Mini and Logic

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:57 am

Looking for opinions here. I got a newish Mac Mini (Intel chip, 64GB ram) in the Fall running Logic X. All of a sudden yesterday, I tried to load in a new IR in Space Designer (reverb plugin) and it froze on the rainbow pinwheel of death. Force quit and tried again, same thing. Then I tried to bounce a mix, same thing.

Here is the list of everything I did at that point.

- Restart Computer. No difference
- Loaded up a different reverb plug in. No problems there.
- Tried a different project. Same issues
- Moved the same project to a different hard drive. Same issues
- Deleted preferences cache. Same issues
- Reset PRAM. Same issues
- Checked Activity Monitor in Utilities and it doesn't look like anything is spiking the RAM or CPU.
- Restarted in Diagnostic mode (AHT), no hardware issues were found.
- Moved the project to my laptop. Everything worked fine there. I was able to bounce and mess with Space Designer no problem.
- Back to the Mac Mini, I tried using internal audio only instead of the interface. Same issues.
- Finally, I Deleted Logic from the Mac Mini and reinstalled. Same issues.

My guess is that the next step is to reinstall the OS, but wondering if any of you can think of anything else to try. This is strange and frustrating that only certain functions are freezing things up. For example, I can't do a ctrl-B bounce, but I can bounce in place in the channels. I haven't come across any other functions that aren't working but I'm guessing they're in there somewhere.

Thoughts?
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

GeorgeToledo
audio school graduate

Re: Problems with Mac Mini and Logic

Post by GeorgeToledo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:46 am

Is it just happening with a specific impulse response? The impulse response file may be malformed or have some other quirk in the data that is incompatible with whatever code Apple uses to load an impulse response file. This is a typical edge case when loading various media formats, whether it be audio files, video, 3d models, etc.

After a bug happens that corrupts the stack, behavior of a computer may be aberrant until you do an app restart, possibly system reboot.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:07 pm

GeorgeToledo wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:46 am
Is it just happening with a specific impulse response? The impulse response file may be malformed or have some other quirk in the data that is incompatible with whatever code Apple uses to load an impulse response file. This is a typical edge case when loading various media formats, whether it be audio files, video, 3d models, etc.

After a bug happens that corrupts the stack, behavior of a computer may be aberrant until you do an app restart, possibly system reboot.
It happens when I try to load in any other IR besides the default one that loads in with the plugin. It also happens when I try to do a ctrl-B bounce.

The first thing I tried was restating the app and the computer. I also deleted and reinstalled Logic and that didn't help.

Oddly, someone suggested logging in with a new User account, and when I tried that, everything worked fine. When I went back to my original user account it was still freezing. I then tried resetting my preferences within Logic (which I hadn't tried before) but that didn't make any difference.

I don't mind using a different User Account but it would be nice to understand how/why this happened so it doesn't happen again.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:35 pm

Try running this:

https://titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Also, maybe the PERMISSIONS for that IR file are wrong. Do you know how to change that? Press command+ i to get the file info pane, and at the bottom you can change permissions.

Also, what drive are your IRs in? and your audio project? Are the permissions correct on those?

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.