Looking for someone to mod my Soundcraft 200B Console NYC

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stereobongos
alignin' 24-trk

Looking for someone to mod my Soundcraft 200B Console NYC

Post by stereobongos » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 am

Hello,
The title says most of it. I have a Soundcraft 200B that works except for some expected noise from being old. I'd like to have Jim Williams mods done on it. I know I can send cards to him but at his rates it would cost 4x what the board is worth to mod the whole thing.
I'm hoping to find someone in Brooklyn or nearby that is experienced and capable and looking for extra cash to work on a few channels at a time.
If you know someone or are someone please DM me!
Just because you can, that doesn't mean you should.
-Me

Iomegaman
audio school graduate

Re: Looking for someone to mod my Soundcraft 200B Console NYC

Post by Iomegaman » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:53 pm

I'm going to be honest here and suggest the ONLY mod worth doing on these boards is the Eddie Celetti ground mod...maybe check for some capacitors that might need replacing especially on the master bus but beyond that the change in sonics by replacing opamps is purely a "buyers bias" experience in my opinion...I know because I've done the Jim Williams mods and socially it was almost indistinguishable than stock.

The ground mod DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE...opamp/capacitor changes are purely a matter of taste.

There's a lot of noise out there about opamp replacement that is simply that, noise...remember the engineers that spec'd these things worked with slide rules and white papers to get the best sonic bang for the buck at the time...that being said the NE5532 is still a very good opamp and there is nothing wrong with using it stock.

Eddies mod: Here

And just to back up what I've said I have my 200B in the closet collecting dust...along with my Amerimex Studio Mixer I (a very rare and beast of a board...all being replaced by my Biamp Legend 2016 because it is worthy.

I've dinked around and modded on these old boards for a few years...get rid of the noise and its fine.
"I bought an audio cleaning tape. I'm a big fan of theirs."