problem with ADAT port failed on RME card??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

problem with ADAT port failed on RME card??

Post by joninc » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:24 pm

this is a hail mary as i'm totally at my wits end with this.

I had an internal hard drive fail in my PC and got it replaced today. Now 1 of my RME adat ports (HDSP 9652) won't send any output
via ADAT 1 - ADAT 2 and 3 work fine.

Strangely - when I connect to ADAT 1 I also LOSE the connectivity on ADAT 2.

What the heck is going on here?

I've swapped adat cables, rebooted, reseated the PCI card and blew out the cables and ports in case of dust.

It seems like some strange kind of audio/ground loop problem that is related to 1 port of the rme card. the other strange thing is that my PC is intermittently NOT turning on which also points to some kind of short....

I may just buy another card locally for a few hundred bucks in hopes that solves it, but if it doesn't.... I'm back at square 1.

(computer shop is closed for the weekend and I have a pile of mixing to do this weekend as well as tracking sessions next week! STRESSSSS)
the new rules : there are no rules

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: problem with ADAT port failed on RME card??

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:31 pm

my PC is intermittently NOT turning on which also points to some kind of short
YIKES.

I would suspect the computer, not the RME card.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 pm

11/10 times when the PC is having issues turning on, its time to replace the power supply. If your ps is going out it sounds reasonable that your pcI card is acting funny due to low power.

Used to manage technology for a dozen employees or so, the problem was so common with the store brand PCs the company would buy I always had a spare power supply sitting around just for this.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:55 am

thanks - is there any way to check the condition of the PSU with some utility / tool / app ?

A friend suggested that the PSU won't turn on if there's a short somewhere in the chain and I wondered about that being an issue too....

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:25 am

joninc wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:55 am
thanks - is there any way to check the condition of the PSU with some utility / tool / app ?

A friend suggested that the PSU won't turn on if there's a short somewhere in the chain and I wondered about that being an issue too....
Not that I’m aware of. Perhaps with a tool that shows current draw or a multimeter but in my experience this is the first component to go in a computer of any age so I didn’t ever do much testing…if i was in doubt I’d try the bench power supply.

The psu could still work intermittently or create strange behavior if its on its way out - ie: not giving you full power anymore. I wouldn’t say that 100% of the time the computer just quits turning on, if you don’t turn the computer off ever it might even appear normal if you don’t have a lot of accessories/hard drives/etc connected (less power required to keep it on that to turn it on). If it’s a store bought / brand like Dell, often time it’s the minimum wattage ps to begin with which is why when they start to go bad you notice right away, while most after market ps are over spec for average computer user.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:26 pm

if it's a power supply issue you could also try blowing any dust out of it. every supply has a fan and it's always got air flowing and they always collect dust. and sometimes dust cause components to overheat. it's a long shot, but maybe worth trying at this point (if you don't have a spare power supply).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:41 pm

I've ordered a new PSU - arriving tomorrow (THANK YOU AMAZON) - will keep you posted!