Is this a good deal?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Is this a good deal?

Post by jmann » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:46 am

I have a chance to get a UAD-2 (Thunderbolt 3 version) for $600. Looks to be barely used.

My current setup is based around an RME Fireface 800, which I will be sticking with for now. I have been pretty happy with the plugins I have so far, but I'm tempted by the idea of LA-2As and Pultecs on mixes.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Is this a good deal?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:25 am

I think the thing for me is that you can definitely get on without them, but now that I've had them for a while there are a few that I rely on heavily in every mix that I do now. A lot of that has to do with the simplicity of them. I really hate modern graphics heavy EQ's and stuff like that. My brain gets fixated on the visual. With the UAD stuff, you just have the image of the gear and some simple parameters to manipulate, and they sound good.

For me it's all about the API 560/550, Neve 1081, 1176 collection, LA2A collection and often the Fairchild, API 2500 and Manley Vari-Mu compressors, EMT140. Sort of the meat and potatoes stuff. Very reliable and they sound good. The Pultec never blows my hair back. I almost never use it.

You could get a Fabfliter Pro-Q and never need another EQ again though. I'm sure there are plenty of rad compression plugins.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks, that's really helpful to know.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:17 pm

also, UA has several different external UAD-2 thunderbolt options - I know there was a Quad and an Octo (meaning either 4 or 8 SHARC chips). So "good deal" would depend on the specific model I suppose. they also make UAD-2 PCIe cards (if you have a desktop). I picked up a solo card for under $100 recently (to supplement the Quad that is in my Apollo interface). UA is pretty good about transferring ownership and letting you register it, and then they even give you some deals on plugins (and you get the default package which has some decent plugins).

there are many of the UAD plugins I use a lot and a few I never really got into. And there are some that you can get from Plugin Alliance (essentially the same Brainworx code but in Native format) for a lot cheaper - if you wait for one of the PA sales.

but I think one of the strongest selling points of the UAD-2 plugin is the near zero-latency plugins through the console app to use while tracking. Sometimes I will use this even if I don't record the plugin effect (you can do it either way). But I don't think you can do that with the UAD satellite or PCIe cards. And I wish my Apollo 16 had a couple of the Unison preamps (but I don't want 8 or 16 of them)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:02 pm

I don't use the Pultecs that much either, but when I do I notice a sort of 3D quality, especially on stereo tracks. sometimes they just work.
Now the LA-2A gray, dbx 160, Neve 33609, TubeTech CL-1B, La-3a, 1176's, Distressor... (hmmm... all compressors) those I use a lot and would really miss and likely won't ever be buying real hardware versions of.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:53 am

It's an amazing platform. The premium LA-2s are really something.
APIs, Neves, Manley V Mu. The Capitol Chambers, EMT-250.
I could go on and on. A lot of this stuff I have the hardware versions at the studio.
I can work the way I'm used to with the plugs at home and if I have a track that gets automated I can stay in the box with those tracks at the studio too.
They have sales all the time so you don't have to pay a lot for the plugs.