Tannoy Service and Spare Parts?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Tannoy Service and Spare Parts?

Post by The Scum » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 pm

Does anyone have experience dealing with post-acquisition Tannoy?

I've got a sinking feeling that I need a new tweeter diapraghm.

Should I start by calling the ol' standbys (Full Compass or Sweetwater), or by reaching out to the Music Tribe mothership?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Tannoy Service and Spare Parts?

Post by drumsound » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 am

If you have a relationship with one of the retailers, that seems like the best place to start.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:56 am

Full Compass seems to be good with parts and repair.

...but more importantly, they're not Sweetwater or Music Tribe :D

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:42 am

So to post my (thankfully positive) findings.

I started with Full Compass - they told me that they used to be a Tannoy spare parts distributor, but that changed after the Music Tribe acquisition. B&H said similar.

So I signed up with the Music Tribe support portal, and opened a ticket. The ticket system has a terrible UI - a single scrolling list with apparently every Tannoy product that's got a link in their knowledgebase. And of course my speakers weren't in the list...so i used a close cousin, and made sure to detail what I was actually looking for.

There were then a couple weeks of silence, but then an email came through. They apoligized for the delay, and the tweeter diaphragm part number I was looking for had been consdensed into a new MT part number, but they had several in stock, and the cost was quite reasonable. So I responded to the email, they sent me a pro-forma invoice, I acceppted it, and they then called me to finish the CC transaction.

As I said, they had a few in stock in Las Vegas - I asked what the long-term prognosis was for replacements, but haven't heard.

Looking backwards at various Tannoy literature, it looks like the same tweeter was used across the DMT, DMTii, and the larger of the Wildcat (and maybe the still-in-production V or CMS series) live sound speakers, as well as possibly whatever the hifi equivalents were. So the numbers being folded into a single one makes sense.

About 4 days later, I had not just a new tweeter diaphragm, but a whole tweeter subassembly (magnet + diaphragm)...as I said, for a very reasonable price. It had yet another part number on the package - they quickly answered my email, and confirmed that it was the same as I had ordered.

I installed it yesterday - indeed the proper part - some slight cosmetic differences, but the overall same thing, and it fit right in, and sounds & measures great.

It also looks like the old tweeter was misbehaving because the ferrofluid had run out of the gap - there was sticky brown residue on the magnet of the old one. Parts Express sell ferrofluid, so i may be able to recondition the old tweeter...maybe a science experiment for a later day.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:00 am

that's good to hear. I had to replace a couple pots and faders on a Behringer mixer several years ago - this may have been pre-Tribe - but they were always pretty good about identifying and selling replacement parts. Mackie (not part of Music-Tribe but a similar conglomerate) used to be pretty good too although I had to sign my life away to get a schematic once....
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com