Sound Toys Little Plate

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Sound Toys Little Plate

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:09 am

if you were not lucky enough to get this when it was free (yes, you missed it!) then this is probably the best price you will ever find it at -- $29 -- and you really won't regret it. this is a great plate reverb.

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/little-plate/
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Re: Sound Toys Little Plate

Post by Colorblind » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Agreed! Great verb and a steal at that price.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:19 am

I used Little Plate (with Echoboy JR in front of it for predelay) on a mix just yesterday.

The Abbey presets always seem to be the place to start, for me, but I used something called wide body, but changed it a little on this one.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:06 am

drumsound wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:19 am

The Abbey presets always seem to be the place to start
I've often used that one as a starting point too, but with so few knobs (and I mean this as a positive), it's really easy to dial in quickly even if starting from the default (once you do it a few times).
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:53 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:06 am
drumsound wrote:

The Abbey presets always seem to be the place to start
I've often used that one as a starting point too, but with so few knobs (and I mean this as a positive), it's really easy to dial in quickly even if starting from the default (once you do it a few times).
Oh, absolutely. I'm not sure there are things happening behind the scenes with the Abbey, or what, but they do sound better.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:33 am

drumsound wrote:
I used Little Plate (with Echoboy JR in front of it for predelay) on a mix just yesterday.

The Abbey presets always seem to be the place to start, for me, but I used something called wide body, but changed it a little on this one.
That's my go-to set up. The Abbey 3, I think, is the one I use a lot.

I'm using a setting of my own, echoboy in front - decapitator - gate; on snare and toms to add a quick "room" sound to them and it sounds great. I got the idea listening to "Superunknown". There's a consistent thing on the snare drum on a lot of those songs that I tried to approximate.

If you haven't yet, put the Decapitator after it. Or the Radiator. Really takes it to another level. I like the "P" setting, gain somewhere around 2-4, tone at like 10 or 11 o'clock, filters wherever sounds good as a starting point, then I automate all of those settings now and then depending on the part.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:45 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:33 am
drumsound wrote:

I'm using a setting of my own, echoboy in front - decapitator - gate; on snare and toms to add a quick "room" sound to them and it sounds great. I got the idea listening to "Superunknown". There's a consistent thing on the snare drum on a lot of those songs that I tried to approximate.

If you haven't yet, put the Decapitator after it. Or the Radiator. Really takes it to another level. I like the "P" setting, gain somewhere around 2-4, tone at like 10 or 11 o'clock, filters wherever sounds good as a starting point, then I automate all of those settings now and then depending on the part.
Decapitator after the predelay, before Little plate?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:34 am

drumsound wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:45 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
drumsound wrote:

I always put it after Little Plate (or any reverb I'm using). The idea of distorting the reverb itself, rather than the source prior to is more in line with what I hear in my head. I'm also often using some degree of distortion and saturation on individual channels before they go to the reverb anyway. I used to sometimes put a distortion pedal in the effects loop on a PCM60 I used to have around, barely doing anything but adding some interesting texture. There is a record called "Easy Pain" by Young Widows that is very fuzzed out, including the reverb. I'm obsessed with the mix, so I think the idea started there.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:07 am

re Young Widows, cool sound. But check out the rigs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWaqBwmigo

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:10 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:34 am
drumsound wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:45 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:

I always put it after Little Plate (or any reverb I'm using). The idea of distorting the reverb itself, rather than the source prior to is more in line with what I hear in my head. I'm also often using some degree of distortion and saturation on individual channels before they go to the reverb anyway. I used to sometimes put a distortion pedal in the effects loop on a PCM60 I used to have around, barely doing anything but adding some interesting texture. There is a record called "Easy Pain" by Young Widows that is very fuzzed out, including the reverb. I'm obsessed with the mix, so I think the idea started there.
OK, gotcha. I'll watch your link later.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:48 am

vvv wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:07 am
But check out the rigs:
I'd hate to be their roadie... and I think 90% of it is powered off, but it still looks cool.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:40 pm

I kinda relate to that photo because I was inna hip-hop band for about two minutes and we practiced after hours inna psychiatrist's office - that looked like that (west side of Michigan Ave near Wacker facing east - not the lake),
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Phobos » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:45 am

I just wrapped up a rock record on which the "default" reverb send for every song was Little Plate. I felt like I was cheating, but it sounds so good. There were a couple occasions where a different reverb was called for, and I used UA plugins for those, but Little Plate is the sound of the record.