How much do you "fix" without telling your client?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: How much do you "fix" without telling your client?

Post by trodden » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:35 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:50 pm
I never said anything to the band, they never said anything about it. Maybe I should've stopped the session right away, told the drummer they needed to go home and practice a bunch, but honestly the drummer wasn't the sort of musician who was gonna do that. And I don't mean that in a bad way, they were someone playing music for fun with their friends, they had no aspirations of being a professional or anything, which is fine. So I just figured fuck it, fix it and make the whole band happy. If it makes the hobbyist drummer think they're better than they really are, well, so what?
This is great.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:46 am

I suppose I feel like the client is gonna get their ‘fix’ somewhere, be it with me or with someone else. They mostly don’t seem to care how it happens, or whether they know about it. It feels like if I can do it, I should. On the other hand, I hate doing much of it, so if there’s any window to talk about redoing immediately, or after more rehearsal, I’ll push for that. Sometimes that push makes people think you don’t like them, and they go elsewhere next time. Some people don’t want help and will fight you on it if they’re aware of it; do it in the background. I’ve definitely made a bunch of bands sound better than they are, many times without a super clear reveal about the lengths I go to. It reflects on me, so I should do it.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:31 pm

emrr wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:46 am
It reflects on me, so I should do it.
yeah, that's been my feeling too. why would I have my name on something that sucked? I'd rather "fix" it if I can so it doesn't suck. whether I tell anyone I fixed something usually depends if they noticed. if they were oblivious to it in the first place then they can usually remain so and the world keeps turning...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com