recommend replacement software for CD ARCHITECT

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

recommend replacement software for CD ARCHITECT

Post by joninc » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 pm

I am just finishing switching all my software over to a new computer (phew) and I'm realizing that I may not have the disc to re-install CD ARCHITECT - and even if I did, my new computer doesn't have a disc drive!

I don't really need to make master cds anymore (very rarely needed as people can just upload WAV files to their duplicator) but I found it really helpful to get a quick visual on song levels, especially when working on a collection of songs... seeing how they relate etc. (I do some mastering as well)

I guess I could do this in Cubase but I'm wondering if any of you have any software that does something like this?

I don't I want to spend the big $ for Wavelab as mastering is really only a small part of my work (mostly production/mixing)
the new rules : there are no rules

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: recommend replacement software for CD ARCHITECT

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:17 pm

If you literally just need to see the waveforms, any DAW will do. If you want more detailed info like LUFS and peak levels, Orban Loudness Meter is a good free app for that: https://www.orban.com/meter

If you want spectrogram view and much more, iZotope RX has a cheap basic version and you can find it on sale pretty often, too.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:46 pm

a little further explanation - i liked that I could have a session open in Cubase (32bit/48k) and simultaneously look at the other mixes (16/44) in CD ARCHITECT ...

IF I want to do this all in cubase, then it needs to be a separate session from the one I am currently mixing and it's not easy to toggle quickly between them... so having it be a separate program is helpful for that reason. or I have to import all the other mixes in and convert to the session sample and bit rate and route to a non processed bus - doable but a little more cumbersome.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:51 am

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:51 am
Try this one:

https://www.steinberg.net/wavelab/
:arrow:
joninc wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 pm
I don't I want to spend the big $ for Wavelab as mastering is really only a small part of my work (mostly production/mixing)

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:36 pm

looks like there is a module within T-racks5 that can do album assembly - and can also export DDP files (which cd architect couldn't do).

i think I will snag that as part of their insane "25th Anniversary Group Buy" Promotion

BTW - if you ever wanted a pile of their plugins for the price of 1 - check this out in the next few days!

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/25gb/

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:43 am

DSP Quatro is another option. I needed something a few years ago and was able to find my old Peak info and got a discount on DSP quatro...

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:54 am

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:44 pm

joninc wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 pm
I don't really need to make master cds anymore (very rarely needed as people can just upload WAV files to their duplicator) but I found it really helpful to get a quick visual on song levels, especially when working on a collection of songs... seeing how they relate etc. (I do some mastering as well)

I guess I could do this in Cubase but I'm wondering if any of you have any software that does something like this?
I wonder if Cubase has the "Supervision" metering plug in that Nuendo has. I LOVE it. Which version of Cubase do you own? Does it have flexible metering in it included? Or just bar level meters?

If you need advanced metering, there are many companies with plug ins that do this, try a few until you like one. Free? there is This site, which has a couple of free vst plug in makers with utility plug ins. https://blog.landr.com/best-free-vst-plugins/
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

AndersonSoundRecording
ass engineer

Post by AndersonSoundRecording » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:04 pm

HOFA make a nice free loudness meter. It comes with their free 4U bundle of plug-ins, many of which are handy (especially ProjectTime):
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/4u/

If you need the DDP making and/or master disc funtionality, I highly recommend their CD Burn DDP-Master. You have to pay for it (there's a plug-in version and as tandalone version - I have both), but it's not particularly expensive:
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/cd-burn-ddp-master/
I heard they inserted a Jimmy Hendrix into the chain somewhere before the preamp.

...Anybody know what that preamp was, 'cause I'd also love to get that sound.

- Mike Tate
https://www.facebook.com/AndersonSoundRecording
andersonsoundrecording.com

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:29 pm

thanks - I am actually pretty happy with my metering. I use Izotope INSIGHT2 for monitoring LUFS

It's just nice to have all the other mixes in progress available to a/b with sonically and also to compare visually - in a separate app so i can have it open simultaneously with my DAW. So far T-Racks5 is working pretty well.