Potentially groan inducing Tascam 424 as mixer question.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

baxfoo
audio school

Potentially groan inducing Tascam 424 as mixer question.

Post by baxfoo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 am

Let's say a guy-no names- just aquired a Tascam 238 but he's exhausted his funds for a mixer for the moment. Let's say this same guy has his beloved Tascam 424 around and he only records a channel at a time ( 2 max). Could he, in the (hopefully very) short term, use the 424 mixer to record into the 238 using the stereo outs? This standup guy, whoever he is, requests you don't flame him for his naive question ;)

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Potentially groan inducing Tascam 424 as mixer question.

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:20 am

Absolutely but won't you also need a mixer for playback from the 238?

baxfoo
audio school

Post by baxfoo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:33 am

Thanks for your reply!

My plan for the moment- ok, it's me alright I admit it!- is to record directly to the tape from my preamp, mono track by track, then run the outputs into the portastudio for monitoring. There are 6 mono inputs and 7/8 stereo so I expect this process to be not the most fun but it's out of pure short term necessity. But maybe that's the best way?

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:08 pm

yeah sounds like it will work. just be aware that mixer will likely add some noise as they aren't the best but i think you already know that. the 238 is a great machine, enjoy it!

baxfoo
audio school

Post by baxfoo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:08 pm

It is indeed a little noisy but it'll do for now.

Yeah, it looks fun. Looking forward to recording with it. Thanks!

Cheers!

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:55 pm

The 238 is the shit. I've worked my way though a ton of multitrack cassette machines and it's my favorite of the bunch. Your sound quality will greatly improve with a good front end (but you'll be fine for now). I have a semi regular soundtrack gig and have done all of it on cassette. It's here - https://gem.cbc.ca/media/farm-crime/s02. Season 1 is all 488, Season 2 is 238 with a little bit of Vestax 6 track cassette here and there.

There are lots of haters but don't let anybody shit on your enthusiasm for multitrack cassette. Real mics into real preamps into a good cassette format is as valid a sound as anything else. It might not be the right choice for every project but when it's the right fit nothing can beat it.

baxfoo
audio school

Post by baxfoo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:13 pm

Couldn't get that link to work because I'm in the UK but found some clips on youtube. I like it! Those are some nice recordings.

Yeah, I enjoy playing around with these machines. Find them quite inspiring despite their quite obvious limitations but you can also eke out surprising results with them. Now the long process of saving for a decent mixer begins!

As an aside, I'm now very curious about what happens with this lobster heist. :lol:

KermitPickle
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by KermitPickle » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:00 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:55 pm
The 238 is the shit. I've worked my way though a ton of multitrack cassette machines and it's my favorite of the bunch. Your sound quality will greatly improve with a good front end (but you'll be fine for now). I have a semi regular soundtrack gig and have done all of it on cassette. It's here - https://gem.cbc.ca/media/farm-crime/s02. Season 1 is all 488, Season 2 is 238 with a little bit of Vestax 6 track cassette here and there.

There are lots of haters but don't let anybody shit on your enthusiasm for multitrack cassette. Real mics into real preamps into a good cassette format is as valid a sound as anything else. It might not be the right choice for every project but when it's the right fit nothing can beat it.
I would very much like to listen to full episodes of this (and your soundtracks) but CBC will not let me because I am, I'm afraid, not Canadian. Is there another way?

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:33 am

KermitPickle wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:00 am
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:

I would very much like to listen to full episodes of this (and your soundtracks) but CBC will not let me because I am, I'm afraid, not Canadian. Is there another way?
Emigrate? Just kidding. CBC seems to have locked this stuff down to their own web platform which is a drag. There's one episode from season 1 on youtube and a bunch of trailers but that's about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDpKH--ULzM

KermitPickle
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by KermitPickle » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:39 am

Waaaah ok.

Honestly I'd love to emigrate but I doubt I'm wanted there...

Also I have a Tascam 134b that I need to fix somehow.

jacksaturn
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jacksaturn » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:23 pm

KermitPickle wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:39 am
Also I have a Tascam 134b that I need to fix somehow.
Let me know if I can be of assistance! http://recdel.com/

-Jack

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:57 am

When you have money available, look for a used Ramsa mixer. I picked up an 8-channel Ramsa for way under $100 a year or two ago. It would go well with the 238.

floeter
audio school

Post by floeter » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:12 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Season 2 is 238 with a little bit of Vestax 6 track cassette here and there.
Are you using built in noise reduction on the 238 or doing that in post or both?

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:40 pm

Yes to noise redux. I should mention that due to the need to generate multiple edits and remixed and synch to picture I export the tracks and do my mix in pro tools.

floeter
audio school

Post by floeter » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:48 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:40 pm
Yes to noise redux. I should mention that due to the need to generate multiple edits and remixed and synch to picture I export the tracks and do my mix in pro tools.
I actually recently picked up a motu 828mk2 just for that, to grab directs out of my Ramsa board. But it is also fun mixing down to stereo live.

Are you using the built in noise reduction on whichever version of the 238 you have and/or do you clean it up further in pro tools or use a particular noise redux plugin?