Aiight, so we're a lotta musos here

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Aiight, so we're a lotta musos here

Post by vvv » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:41 pm

And some even play guitar so I wanna say somethings:

1. This thread (hope I did that right) at there (otherwise look for ""Re: Cheap Sleeper Fuzz Pedals for Guitar
Post by vvv » August 25th, 2021, 4:36 pm" pn page 2) has some of us talking about pedals, and giving history and description, comparison, and mods, and description of the mods, and price, and it occurred to me: "Ah, I have a question and comment."

I don't think of effects that way at all, I don't deep-dive, I mebbe take advice but I usually dick with it a few times and find a setting I like and stick with it, go on to the next pedal. Some pedals I set for bass and guitar, or rhythm and lead, and I mark 'em with colored paper dot-stickers, ex., blue for bass, yellow for rhythm guitar - I usually stop with no more than 3 settings per pedal;

2. Someone should start a thread about boosts vs. OD, and another about distortion vs. fuzz (and then drill down like ya's did on Super Fuzzes), because all y'all sound like ya know some stuff;

3. We might could use a thread about creativity itself, from writing to mixing to playing/recording to yada-yada; and,

3. For context I have a martini in hand and am listening to a 1983 bootleg of Dream Syndicate songs recorded live that year (June-Sept; *.mp3, some 320), filling inna then current set-list. Pretty ruff performance, good sound, but/and it rocks.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Aiight, so we're a lotta musos here

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:23 pm

Do you read The Hard Times website? Sort of a punk version of The Onion. Recent article titled "Are You Using the Wrong Guitar Pick? Read This Article and Enjoy Pretending That’s the Problem for a Little While" is pretty much spot-on for gear obsessing as a form of procrastination.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:50 pm

To this day I still kinda like Dream Syndicate. No martini at the moment, but will read about the wrong guitar pick.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:52 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:23 pm
gear obsessing as a form of procrastination.
My next guitar is going to be a body and neck from Warmoth. Awhile back I was on their site, playing with the virtual builder, trying out different body styles/woods/finishes and then I realize I've spent hours doing that and zero hours actually playing any of the 10 guitars I already have.

I'd be especially interested in vvv's #3. The first #3.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:38 pm

I had me just a slight buzz on last night, what always affects my numbers sense.

That said, with over 900 songs linked below, procrastination is the least of my issues, which are many - too many to count even when sober.

BTW, pickled mushrooms (3-4) inna Seagrams Extra Dry on the rocks, none of that poisonous vermout' stuffs - count me in!

So we could mebbe like do a thread about cocktails, two. Or three - gettin' too old for more than 4-5.

Or, superfuzz, vs. octave fuzz, vs. muff, vs. rat*, vs. fuzz face?

*I have long felt the rat izza type of fuzz, but some do disagree.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:53 am

I think rat's feel fuzzy
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:51 am

I've always thought that it becomes fuzz when it has a true square wave, not just some clipping.

Is this accurate?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 pm

no idear, I just take it as a matter of perspective

I never scoped any so don't really know about the waves but I think, yeah, square waves are called fuzz

I never really considered most muffs a fuzz, but they are so classified

the Ibanez muff cop (805, I think) is fuzzier than most muffs

the triangle/Violet and op-amp muffs seem fuzziest to me

I think Zvex distortions and fuzzes are about interchangeable in that status

still tryna find a Malekko grey mini-fuzz

I know the rat status is debated - I think mebbe it depends on the setting?

for me it's a "I know it when I hear it" thing, and somewhat flexible as to some pedals

it's weird but I think fuzzes can stack better than many OD's, altho' they might not do what you anticipate

I think I might have about 15-20 different ones
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:41 pm

vvv wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 pm

for me it's a "I know it when I hear it" thing, and somewhat flexible as to some pedals

it's weird but I think fuzzes can stack better than many OD's, altho' they might not do what you anticipate

I think I might have about 15-20 different ones
I could have a bunch if I let myself. Fortunately the Blackout Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe is versatile enough I can talk myself out of buying more. It does the warm and mellow lead thing, all the way up to the zipper, glitch stuff.

I like how fuzz guitar and fuzz bass can sit somewhere like a trumpet or a growling tenor sax, sonically. I've even put a fuzz bass played with a slide next to some saxes and turned low enough you think vaguely that there's a trombone in there, maybe.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:18 pm

I tend to think of the rat as a dirty boost that progresses into fuzz depending on how you use it. Taking the diodes out of circuit really emphasizes the boostiness, and also gives an idea of the amount of clipping it's capable of. True fuzz is enough different tho, that I think it's more of a close cousin.

+1 on the horn vibe from fuzz, I've gotten passable tuba imitations.
Village Idiot.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:57 am

since this thread seems to be anything goes, I'll just throw out that one of my fav "distortion" pedals is a cheap Joyo JF-02 Ultimate Drive. I've seen them used for $20-30. My brother gave this one to me. Now remember that I'm really a drummer, but I also have an idea of guitar tones that I like and I am often helping others get a recorded tone that will work for the song they are recording (and so many want to use way too much distortion for most songs) . Anyway, this is one I really like. reminds me of crunchy "classic rock" guitars.

http://www.joyoaudio.com/product/51.html

and yeah, I know it's supposed to be a clone of the Fulltone OCD but I've never had one of those so can't comment...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:34 am

My all time favorite fuzz is a weird 4 channel Moviola solid state Squwk Box film mixer. It's got 4 channels with individual gain, a master volume and tone. It runs to a tiny 4" speaker but also has a speaker out. It's powerful enough to run a 4x10 at apartment volume. It is incapable of clean tones. It starts at blown out and broken and gets more extreme from there. Even better than using it stand alone is plugging the output into another amp. It give a very convincing impression of the Garnet Herzog sound. Running a fuzz pedal before the squawk box makes things completely over the top and insane. Kind of like the Edwin Collins "Never Met A Girl Like You Before" sound. Crazy noisy though. Sustain for days but the hum-hiss-noise between notes is off the charts.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:52 pm

I have so many fuzzes because a. I'm a doosh, b. I like 'em, c. I use 'em on different boards, amps and in different orders.

If you really wanna learn fuzz the Zvex Fuzz factory is perhaps the most versatile, but there's something to be said for a pedal you plug in and it sounds like itself nearly every time*. MXR has some nice ones, I love every thing about Catalinbread pedals, EQD and Walrus are good and I'm intrigued by the later Danelectros.

*greater variation with germanium, of course.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 am

for guitar my current favorite is the Vox V829 fuzz as pictured below

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/misc/v829.html

for bass my everything is the Sears Fuzz-Tone Control as pictured below

https://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/sears/fuzztone