Trust digitally-controlled preamps or not?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pietro79
gimme a little kick & snare

Trust digitally-controlled preamps or not?

Post by pietro79 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:58 am

Hi!

I'm looking at the RME Fireface 802 and the Fireface UFX II.

I know I know, there are many posts comparing these, but before you click away :lol: -- my question is not about all the differences, per se. It's about the reliability of digitally-controlled preamps.

Fireface UFX II features digitally-controlled preamps, and I'm wondering if I can trust these in the long run.

What I mean is, I've never owned digitally-controlled preamps and can't find much info on their performance, including long term performance. Closest experience I've had with digitally controlled knobs is my toaster oven, which is quite finicky (i.e., not reliable) ... I imagine RME uses better parts than a toaster oven!

Is it an advantage of the 802 that it doesn't use digitally controlled preamps?

Any insight, experiences, etc appreciated.

Thanks!

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Trust digitally-controlled preamps or not?

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am

In theory, they'd be more reliable than hardware-controlled preamps, right? The actual preamp circuit is still analog, but there's no potentiometer to get dirty and scratchy.

Or are you talking about long-term support for firmware and drivers?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:50 am

As long as you’re within the intended use of the device, I’m sure it’s fine. There’s lots of digitally controlled gear out there…sometimes I’ve seen the encoder get jumpy but that is solved by cleaning or replacement of the encoder.

My experience with computer contingent gear is that it will usually become obsolete / unsupported before the actual device fails.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:34 am

I've got an Apollo 16 silver (the original) - no preamps - but the volume control is digitally controlled. so far no issues after several years. there are lots of "digitally controlled" devices out there if you think about it. Agree that if you are using it within the expected lifespan of the product then it should be fine. 20 years down the road? who knows, but the same can be said for analog.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:02 pm

The live concert world is almost exclusively on digitally-controlled preamps at this point. Yes, we trust them.