Cleaning the goddamned studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Cleaning the goddamned studio

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:13 pm

Swapping mics isn't really that difficult. What takes time is the mic, the stand, the cable... oh yeah, the cable! In my own situation where I haven't set up a dedicated space, I might be recording occasionally in any room. Lately it's been this cozy upstairs office where I've been practicing. And cable management becomes a hassle - there's a cable from the mic to the interface, cable from the interface to the computer, power supply for the interface, etc. Almost makes me want to have a bunch of really short mic cables so that I'm not constantly wrangling even a 10 foot cable from the mic stand to the interface.

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Cleaning the goddamned studio

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:57 pm

I do that.

I have 3' and 6', and 10' and 20' and 40' cables. The first two are for in the bedio where the rack stuff is, for sing from the mix position or micing percussion or the bass amp and guitar amp that are right there. The 10' and 20' aren't really used. The 40' cables are for micing the amps in the "amp room/office", or anywhere else in the house (usually the living room).

I do electrician wraps (over and under) on all but the longest - those wraps, once the cables are "trained" go pretty fast and I use figure-8 shoelace or ribbons to hang the cables on wall hooks. The longer cables are wrapped on construction-type plastic organizers which I always see not recommended but have been fine for me for 20 years - use 'em on long guitar cords, also:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.