Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

larrykohling
audio school

TEAC 80-8 help?

Post by larrykohling » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:45 am

Hey forum folks--

I've got a TEAC 80-8 with two issues:

1) a power transformer that buzzes, both at rest, and more loudly when the transport functions (play, rewind, etc.) are engaged, and 2) a capstan that comes loose too easily (I've disassembled and reassembled the capstan assembly probably four times at this point--every time, it's plumb and functioning properly, and then the slightest bump causes it to come loose).

I'm a newbie to tape deck repair--I used to have a really great tech, but I've moved to a city without any reel-to-reel competent technicians :( so any and all suggestions are most welcome.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: TEAC 80-8 help?

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:29 pm

2 sounds like a tension issue. Something isn't applying enough tension somewhere. I know how to deal with this on an MCI, but not on a machine like yours.

Do you have the manual? There should be something in there.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: TEAC 80-8 help?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:26 pm

#1 just sounds like an older power transformer. Is the hum turning up in the audio or just audible mechanical noise in the room? I've got a bunch of gear that does the same thing (looking at you Crown power amp) but if it doesn't effect the signal I'm reluctant to spend money to address it.