How much can non-matched mic pairs differ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

How much can non-matched mic pairs differ?

Post by Phobos » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:38 am

I have a non matched pair of AKG C 414 B-ULS mics, bought used. One is significantly louder than the other - like 10db louder. I've also noticed that the louder mic seems to sound better, although this could just be my perception. Is this "normal," or could there be an issue with the quieter mic?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: How much can non-matched mic pairs differ?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:21 am

It's not uncommon for older mics to vary widely. Parts age and values change. Record both mics at once on the same source (placed as close together as possible). Level match in post. How close do they sound then? Louder always sounds better so you need to eliminate that variable before you can accurately judge.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:01 pm

Phobos wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:38 am
I have a non matched pair of AKG C 414 B-ULS mics, bought used. One is significantly louder than the other - like 10db louder. I've also noticed that the louder mic seems to sound better, although this could just be my perception. Is this "normal," or could there be an issue with the quieter mic?
Jiggle the different switches on the mics. They do have a pad switch, maybe one is stuck?

I own two of this same mic, they are close enough to do Stereo micing. And are not a matched pair.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:16 am

I have a pair of these also - bought used from different sources - and they are pretty close. I use them for drum overheads and they are close enough for sure. definitely not 10dB difference in level.

for most modern mics (that benefit from modern CNC machining and such) I probably wouldn't worry about it - they are usually so close already due to the tight tolerance levels (vs. when things were more "made by hand").
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:52 pm

"10 dB difference" == "probably broken".

You can actually do a frequency response comparison - just record a snippet of pink noise from a speaker, being careful to mount each mic in the exact same spot. You can use Audacity to generate a FFT for each, and from there it should be easy to make a real comparison.