Happy Black Friday! Did you get anything?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Happy Black Friday! Did you get anything?

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:32 am

drumsound wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:19 am
trodden wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:09 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:28 am

I also picked up a couple more UAD plugins (since this is one of the best times of the year to do so). I got the API Vision channel strip and the Culture Vulture (I fall for hardware emulations of hardware I would never buy in real life...).
Do you enjoy the API Vision Channel Strip? I found myself using the waves API EQ's a lot, and didn't want to give WAVES money, so decided to go the UA route instead.
I like the Vision strip a lot. I had the legacy and upgraded to the new version to have the 560 as an option. I think the EQs both sound great, and so does the compressor. I've had some luck with the gate, but I'm not a big gate person.

I traded for an entire UAD account last year, so there were already a ton of things including the Legacy API strip. I did an entire mix with it, as if I was using a console. I put it as the first plugin on all the tracks, and any Auxes I set up. I was a pretty fun way to work. I've also done that with the SSL strip AND G bus comp as an experiment. I worked fine, but I wasn't as into it...
This will be my first "channel strip" plug to use. I don't know how I feel about that format yet. I guess I'll be inserting it either first in the chain, or after my SONNEX EQ which I use for surgical cutting?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:34 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:31 am
trodden wrote:
digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:28 am

I also picked up a couple more UAD plugins (since this is one of the best times of the year to do so). I got the API Vision channel strip and the Culture Vulture (I fall for hardware emulations of hardware I would never buy in real life...).
Do you enjoy the API Vision Channel Strip? I found myself using the waves API EQ's a lot, and didn't want to give WAVES money, so decided to go the UA route instead.
I use it sometimes, and since then UA gave me the native version now too. But I still tend to default to my old Waves E or G-channel strips first (if I'm using a channel strip). but if I can't get something to sound right, then I go looking and sometimes grab the API. And sometimes it is the right one. I probably need to use it more to get a better feel for it, but I have a lot of (ok, too many) channel strip plugins...
I worry about plug in overload anxiety. I've never really had the problem since I only had so few to choose from, and non of them being channel strips. Now with an updated system, there's a billion choices out there. I'm going to have to get used to knowing when to use a channel strip vs not I guess.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:51 pm

trodden wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:28 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:28 am
trodden wrote:

It's good, but I often only use the EQ so when that's the case I just go to the stand-alone UAD plugs. The compressor is definitely cool for some stuff.
Does the stand alone EQ's sound different than the channel strips if your only using the EQ in the strip?
I sometimes work on stuff in the office and will switch to the ch. strip temporarily when I'm not hooked up to my Apollo's since it's native, then go back to the standalone when I'm at home. I've never noticed a difference, but I also have never A/B'd them in real time so I can't say for sure. Maybe the line-amp bit of the channel strip makes a difference?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:53 pm

trodden wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:29 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:26 am
I went a little nuts, but also not that bad. ha.

Have the DIY bug real bad so I got a Hairball Blue Stripe 1176 kit & 2 Hairball Bronze kits.

Oxford Inflator, Kazrog True Iron and True Dynamics plugins.

Also bought a rug for my temporary mix room in my apartment (80% off!). The studio I was working out of closed, so I've been scrambling lately to set up a comfortable space to hold me over til I make a move.
I love the INFLATOR. It's a must have for me.
What do you like to use it on? It helped me out a lot on a vocal track that I was struggling to punch through a wall of heinously loud guitars and feedback while I was demoing it, so then I of course had to get it.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:24 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:53 pm
trodden wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:29 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:26 am
I went a little nuts, but also not that bad. ha.

Have the DIY bug real bad so I got a Hairball Blue Stripe 1176 kit & 2 Hairball Bronze kits.

Oxford Inflator, Kazrog True Iron and True Dynamics plugins.

Also bought a rug for my temporary mix room in my apartment (80% off!). The studio I was working out of closed, so I've been scrambling lately to set up a comfortable space to hold me over til I make a move.
I love the INFLATOR. It's a must have for me.
What do you like to use it on? It helped me out a lot on a vocal track that I was struggling to punch through a wall of heinously loud guitars and feedback while I was demoing it, so then I of course had to get it.
Either what you used it for, or on guitar buss to get them even more heinously loud!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:07 pm

trodden wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:24 pm

What do you like to use it on?
I used it on some acoustic guitar tracks too. a litle EQ, a little compression - just to help them sit.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:44 pm

Binged on plug-ins, since I finally have no fear of filling up my MBP's built in drive:

- Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2 (interface) - somehow the price on this interface with "Komplete Select 14" software is the same as just the price of Komplete Select 14 by itself, so I have an extra interface on its way.

- Black Rooster Audio "All" bundle - effects

- Arturia V Collection 9 - synths and more synths

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:25 pm

Don't recall if it was on Friday, but I bought a biography of Merle Travis that was recently published by Deke Dickerson - just showed up!

Other that, just groceries and maybe a cup of coffee and lunch on Saturday.

Seriously. I got enough stuff, and I keep building more.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:22 am

trodden wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:32 am
drumsound wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:19 am
trodden wrote:

I like the Vision strip a lot. I had the legacy and upgraded to the new version to have the 560 as an option. I think the EQs both sound great, and so does the compressor. I've had some luck with the gate, but I'm not a big gate person.

I traded for an entire UAD account last year, so there were already a ton of things including the Legacy API strip. I did an entire mix with it, as if I was using a console. I put it as the first plugin on all the tracks, and any Auxes I set up. I was a pretty fun way to work. I've also done that with the SSL strip AND G bus comp as an experiment. I worked fine, but I wasn't as into it...
This will be my first "channel strip" plug to use. I don't know how I feel about that format yet. I guess I'll be inserting it either first in the chain, or after my SONNEX EQ which I use for surgical cutting?
The Vision was the first channel strip I really liked using. I had the Eventide, and I liked elements of it, but never became a goto kind of plugin. I think I tried the Metric Halo strip that a lot of people liked, but I didn't buy it after demoing. The supposed Epuhonix stip in PT was such an bad UI that it never got any traction for me.

The vision strip just seems to work well and the different elements sound good. The dynamics, filters, EQ all very useful even if I don't use each part because a track doesn't need them.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:00 am

I got a Martin Dread jr. for desk guitar to replace the LX1 I've been using. The LX1 is mostly fine, but the dread jr has electric out and a bit more bass and fuller sound.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:27 am

ampguy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:00 am
I got a Martin Dread jr. for desk guitar to replace the LX1 I've been using. The LX1 is mostly fine, but the dread jr has electric out and a bit more bass and fuller sound.
I'd be interested to hear some comparison clips!
Village Idiot.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:53 pm

Here is my first recording with it. The top is still breaking in. The action changed quite a bit after unboxing and letting it hydrate for a few days

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sKr9Gx ... p=drivesdk

Rêve Vague
audio school

Post by Rêve Vague » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:57 am

I bought Oeksound's "Spiff" to help cleanup some dialogue in Final Cut but unfortunately it doesn't play nice in Final Cut.
Works great in Logic however, so I'm going to process things there and drag them into my video editor afterward.
I bought their Soothe years back and its just fantastic. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around transient design but its been helping with a myriad tasks lately.
Record an ENTIRE song with a SHURE Sm7b?
https://youtu.be/GeLlo64fU_g?si=sS5TyBOs7UgZzOdU

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:50 am

more plugins! lex224 and capital chambers from UAD. Seventh Heaven. Superplate. GLOW from wave alchemy. Trigger 2 from Slate...
the new rules : there are no rules