Summer of Soul

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Summer of Soul

Post by CraigS63 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks for the tip on this one @digitaldrummer !
I had no idea this happened. Quite a bit of talent on this one. 1969 was a great year for music (this festival got overshadowed
by Woodstock).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11422728/

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Summer of Soul

Post by drumsound » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:35 pm

Some pretty incredible stuff in that movie. I believe ?uestlove is seeing some award nominations for it.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:05 am

drumsound wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:35 pm
I believe ?uestlove is seeing some award nominations for it.
I would hope so!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:55 am

I love that all the performers in this doc are a little funny looking (like real people) and sound amazing. Contrasted to the pop stars of today who all look like models and may or may not be passable performers.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:08 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:55 am
I love that all the performers in this doc are a little funny looking (like real people) and sound amazing. Contrasted to the pop stars of today who all look like models and may or may not be passable performers.
Sad but true.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:01 pm

Gotta watch this one again and make sure I didn't hallucinate what I think I saw.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:40 am

The Mahalia Jackson/Mavis Staples duet on that suuuuuuper slow blues was unbelievable.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:55 am

finally watched this, it was lovely. some highlights were Ben Branch, i love his gospel records, he used a lot of the chicago chess/cadet session players (like phil upchurch). the mahalia/mavis duet was worth the price of admission alone. i really loved the musical diversity, gospel, latin, soul, funk, jazz, it was great to see them stick to genres instead of the "something for everyone" bonnaroo/coachella/modern festival lineups.

the thing that stood out the most was the quality of the vocals. no autotune, no correction, no pitch issues, not a single one. like David said previously, looks were not the most important, the talent was never in question. i hear modern shows and i hear pitchiness, off key singing, etc, can't hear the piano to find the pitch, it's amateur. every single performer was nailed on pitch, on key, and delivered with 100% spirit and emotion. it's easy to see why this is considered the golden era.

i read an interview with questlove afterwards and he said he's been hit up by 15 people since who have archive footage and he's working on 5 of them now. he said he realized as a music nerd this is his calling, to document and archive this stuff.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:59 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:55 am
finally watched this, it was lovely. some highlights were Ben Branch, i love his gospel records, he used a lot of the chicago chess/cadet session players (like phil upchurch). the mahalia/mavis duet was worth the price of admission alone. i really loved the musical diversity, gospel, latin, soul, funk, jazz, it was great to see them stick to genres instead of the "something for everyone" bonnaroo/coachella/modern festival lineups.

the thing that stood out the most was the quality of the vocals. no autotune, no correction, no pitch issues, not a single one. like David said previously, looks were not the most important, the talent was never in question. i hear modern shows and i hear pitchiness, off key singing, etc, can't hear the piano to find the pitch, it's amateur. every single performer was nailed on pitch, on key, and delivered with 100% spirit and emotion. it's easy to see why this is considered the golden era.

i read an interview with questlove afterwards and he said he's been hit up by 15 people since who have archive footage and he's working on 5 of them now. he said he realized as a music nerd this is his calling, to document and archive this stuff.
I agree with all of this. and I hadn't heard about the last paragraph, and that excites me!

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:36 pm

Watched it again, yes, I did see all that. Astonishing.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:19 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Well we all have to remember that being Unique was something to strive for back then. This era was before the (mostly white male) accountants fully took over the record labels, in the early to mid 1970s. That really destroyed Uniqueness.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:29 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:19 am
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Well we all have to remember that being Unique was something to strive for back then. This era was before the (mostly white male) accountants fully took over the record labels, in the early to mid 1970s. That really destroyed Uniqueness.
AMEN!