Anyone know about taking a UAD Sat from PC to Mac?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Anyone know about taking a UAD Sat from PC to Mac?

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:24 am

I got a Satellite Octo in trade from a client, but he was on Windows. I'm on a Mac. My friend at SW said it shouldn't be a problem. When I went to register it, the windows download comes up, but I did find the Mac download. I'm afraid to register and lose all the plugins (and there are A LOT) because he said he'd take it back if it doesn't work. I don't want to brick the thing and screw him in the process.

The guy I got it from said that the licenses are tied to the serial number and it shouldn't brick it, but I'm TOTALLY paranoid...

Has anyone done this?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Anyone know about taking a UAD Sat from PC to Mac?

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:16 am

UAD is pretty good about transferring used products. The former user has to fill out a form to "release" it and then you can register it. So sounds like you did that. if so, then the plugins should show in your UA account (go to "my account" and look under "plugin library") assuming they were tied to the Satellite. If the former owner had multiple UAD products, they can choose which device they are tied to (and it's all or none). So if this was their last or only UAD device then it should all transfer no problem. If they have other UAD products, then the plugins likely stayed with them. Also, UA will send you email to get 50% or something like that (to encourage to spend lots of $$ on plugins) once you register it.

if they did not transfer all the plugins, then the device will have those plugins active, but if you ever re-register it online or check for updates, or anything like that, then it will go back to the defaults (although those are some pretty good plugins too but if your trade expected the others...). When I got my Apollo 16, I used it for a short time without registering it (it had a lot of plugins), and now I just spend all my $$ on plugins. :lol:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:51 pm

Is this an internal card, or a USB / Thunderbolt external box?

I know for sure the external boxes work fine with either PC or Mac.

Make sure you only install the CORRECT version of their software on your Mac, before connecting the device.

And before even doing that, get in touch with UAD so they can help you register this device to your account. If the old owner has not yet let them know he sold it to you, he needs to do so.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:55 pm

Sooooo, USB devices are Windows only. But I think I have a work around to buy an TB devices as well, and the unregister the USB device WITHOUT the ton of plugins, keep those for the TB device and then send the USB device back to my client to sell as a basic model.
Nick Sevilla wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:51 pm
Is this an internal card, or a USB / Thunderbolt external box?

I know for sure the external boxes work fine with either PC or Mac.

Make sure you only install the CORRECT version of their software on your Mac, before connecting the device.

And before even doing that, get in touch with UAD so they can help you register this device to your account. If the old owner has not yet let them know he sold it to you, he needs to do so.

Cheers
Software before device, got it!