Anyone ever use one of these kick mic mounts?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Anyone ever use one of these kick mic mounts?

Post by alexdingley » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:22 am

Saw one of these for sale on Craigslist, and was intrigued.

https://www.kellyshu.com/

Anyone ever use one? Are they well made / versatile enough, position-wise?

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Anyone ever use one of these kick mic mounts?

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:16 pm

I've had a couple of these come in to the studio and they never sound good. Every time I've encountered one, I've just gone ahead and done my normal thing and it's sounded a thousand times better. It's probably just a case of the drummers having the mic in the wrong spot, but I don't know how adjustable they are. It seems like maybe there's some back and forth play, but not much side to side or up and down. Or angle adjustment. I know a lot of people are using these on major tours, so someone must be having good experiences with them, but in my limited experience, I'm not a fan.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:00 pm

Can imagine this being one of those things that makes a good PA sound and a crap recording sound.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:52 am

I think the https://www.randallmay.com/internal-miking-system seems like a better choice.

I went looking for these type of things a while back, but never pulled the trigger. I wanted to make one of my bass drums closed but have an inside mic. I still think about it sometimes. I may just put one of the $35 Monoprice boundary mics in my 20".

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:40 am

As a guy who really loves the sound and the response of a 2 headed kick drum with no hole in it I have been using a much less complicated version of an internal kick mic for most of the records cut at our place for over 20 years.
The mount is a simple job that attaches to the nuts on the inside of the drum from one of the existing lugs.

I have a 20" 1969 Premier kick with an internal mic and also a 26" Ludwig with an internal mic also.

I have a 22" Slingerland with out the mic too as another option.

I've used a few different microphones in the kick drums. The Ludwig has the dual element (Dynamic & Condenser) AT AE-2500 in it and the Premier has a Telefunken USA M82 Dynamic in it.

Again, I really love the sound of a dual headed kick drum and recording all this time in NYC in smaller rooms without true suspended floors I really like the lows that I can get from a dual headed kick drum and the internal mic. Both drums w the internal mics have Evans pads inside of them.

I have also used the Premier kick with the internal mount on live gigs. For club gigs it's pretty amazing to just give the sound person a line for your kick. Also on smaller stages nobody is getting tangled up with guitar cables catching on the stand for the kick drum.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:32 pm

Haven’t checked yet, but a dpa 4060 might drop through the vent hole in my Rogers kick. Hmmmm
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:07 pm

emrr wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:32 pm
Haven’t checked yet, but a dpa 4060 might drop through the vent hole in my Rogers kick. Hmmmm
Some people really love that - I just haven't tried it myself.

jmann
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmann » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:25 am

emrr wrote:
I want to try that, too, but I have some different lav mics. Not sure they can handle the SPLs though... Mine are Sanken COS11, though I have an old Countryman B6 as well.

Maybe dangling down by the beater head instead? That would be just for attack, not the whole drum.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:47 am

Both of the kicks I have the internal mics in have some holes in the shells from older mounts (tom mount on the Premier, marching band harness on the 26" Ludwig). A lot of older kicks may also have some holes where the legs have been replaced or where an on the drum ride cymbal stand was. The air hole works well too. For most people it would take less than 5 minutes to unsolder and re-solder one end of an XLR cable.

There's a really inexpensive Gibraltar internal mount available that can be used to see if you like the sound. Some people add a short gooseneck to the mount if needed to get the mic in the right position.

Over the years I've concluded that I like a dynamic in there the best. For me I really love both the sound of the drum and the pedal action you get with a beater head and a full resonant head on the front.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:51 pm

Thanks for all of the insights! I’m gonna let that thing pass on by, and if/when it’s time… I’ll probably rig up my own thing, a la this method.
roscoenyc wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:40 am
The mount is a simple job that attaches to the nuts on the inside of the drum from one of the existing lugs.
I’ve been using the earthworks “drum kit” for years, and I really love it. Its be cool to take up less floor space by reducing the need for stands, etc.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:50 pm

I have one in my kick w/ a D112 in it. I have a short XLR tail on it coming out of one side of a Pearl rack tom/ kick mount (my tom is not mounted on the kick).Super convenient. There is some adjustability in the distance from the batter head (but not much, 2-3”). Positions the mic where I would try to position it with a separate boom stand.
Proudly not a professional.
Ivan the Threadstopper

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:53 am

Tried one once. Bad results.

It puts the mic too close to the skin.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:40 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:53 am
Tried one once. Bad results.

It puts the mic too close to the skin.

It doesn't have to.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 am

emrr wrote:
I think an dpa 4099 (high SPL version) would work. The little detachable cable could fit through. These 4099 sound nice on drums.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.