Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: RIP Chris Garges @cgarges

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:38 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:54 am
Yeah, I only went to the one in Tucson in 2007 (i think? maybe 2006), but it was a great time and that's actually where I met Chris for the first time. We became fast friends, which was very easy to do with him.

I'm so going to miss the epic, sprawling phone calls. It'd be like this:

me: I really dug the harmonica solo on that track I just did for you.
Garges: Oh man! Do you know *insert name of local Charlotte legend*?
me (lifelong New Englander): *has no earthly idea at all*
Garges: OH MAN! So, Jim started playing harmonica when he was 2, sitting on the floor in the back of his dad's tv repair shop. One time, his dad was fixing a tv for Manny McGuillicutty, one of the best jazz drummers in town. Manny's wife Abigail tended bar at Johnny's, well actually, before that she was at Finnegan's, but that place burned down back in '82. Anyway, Abigail was friends with the Johnson brothers, who.....

and I'd be like DUDE! You're been talking for like 2 minutes and we're already 5 tangents deep! How is my weed-addled mind supposed to keep track of all this? And we'd die laughing.

I got to play a couple gigs with him back in 2011. My first night there, we're at his house, sitting and sipping bourbon. I still smoked then so I asked if we could move outside to the porch. So we do, and we sit and sip and talk shit literally all night. At some point about 5am, Carrie comes down and she's laughing and says "you guys are so fucking loud!" We're like shit we were trying to be quiet! In an attempt to sober us up, Carrie brings out a tray of homemade cookies.....which of course had rum in them!

I felt unspeakably terrible the next day but it was a great hang.

Anyway, I worked on this record for him last year, it's a masterpiece, it's for a great cause, and I'm so glad he was able to do this, it must've been a mountain of work:

https://thedefactobrothers.bandcamp.com ... o-yourself
For those that didn't know Chris personally, THIS is The Chris Experience in a nutshell.

I forgot to mention the DeFacto Brothers records in my first post. That was truly a labor of love for Chris. There are a few things on there that I was lucky enough to get an email from Chris with "What does this mix need?" in the subject line. He and I did that a lot for each other. There would be 3-4 emails back and fourth and we would both be grateful for the other's insight. He made A LOT of my mixes better over the years.
trodden wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:08 am
Fuck.

I wasn't as close to Chris as some of you, but with nearly 20 years of hanging out on this board, Chris was one of those talented people who was alway happy to share, teach, and discuss making records, listening to records, and his love of music with others without an air of gatekeeping superiority. I alway respected his kindness and the wealth of information that he gladly provided to anyone. I never got to meet him in-person, but I always felt that if I did, it would be a pleasant conversation much like his presence here, online. I've had a handful of Lexicon LXP-1's in the last 25 years. The one in my rack at the moment I got from Chris, maybe 10 years ago? I have and will continue to think of him whenever I use it.
Does your Lexi from Chris have a name written on it in grease pencil?
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:43 am
Sad to hear this. Also never met him, but he was a guy I just knew I could trust when he offered his insights and opinions on this forum (and elsewhere), to the point where I would skip to his posts very often and then leave it at that. I had a couple of minimal interactions with him via social media over the years and he was generous with his knowledge.

I'm so sorry for those of you that were close with him. He sounds like a really great person and our tribe has clearly lost someone special.
The Tribe is both better for having had Chris in it and suffering a massive deficiency without him.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:41 am

Here is something Jamie Hoover wrote and posted on the Spongetones website. Jaime was one of those names that came up in conversation A LOT when talking to Chris. They made a shit ton of music together. It may even be one of Jamie's records that brought Chris to Abbey Road for a mastering session.
https://spongetones.com/2-23-22-chris-garges/

And here is the clip of Chris giving a "sit down ass kicking" that is mentioned in the piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYC_Qe9mA5g

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:12 pm

Hey y’all…

I came here to see if there was already a post celebrating/sharing about Chris. Tony - thanks so much for dropping this here.

For my part, this little corner of the web was like a home of sorts for me about ten? Fifteen years back? Geez…Time flies. If you search for me, you’ll find posts revealing both my excitement at recording audio, as well as my ignorance about recording audio 😄

However, if you search for Chris Garges… I’m quite sure you’ll find what I found from him here: good cheer, quick wit, and an bottomless well of musical and recording knowledge matched only by his generosity in sharing it.

I had a studio for about ten years. Grew in my chops, eventually. A couple of times in the early days I got stuck in over my head, and he just took my call like he knew me. It meant a lot, as does this board - even if I’m not here regularly anymore. Kinda feels like coming back to the town you lived in for a few formative years, but moved away from.

In any case…I’m sad to hear about Chris. He was more of an influence on me than he knew, and I’m better for having known him even only through the TOMB. Imma buy some red Chucks in his honor…. And throw the feet up in the console…

Be well, TOMB’ers…
Jon

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:28 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:12 pm
Hey y’all…

I came here to see if there was already a post celebrating/sharing about Chris. Tony - thanks so much for dropping this here.

For my part, this little corner of the web was like a home of sorts for me about ten? Fifteen years back? Geez…Time flies. If you search for me, you’ll find posts revealing both my excitement at recording audio, as well as my ignorance about recording audio 😄

However, if you search for Chris Garges… I’m quite sure you’ll find what I found from him here: good cheer, quick wit, and an bottomless well of musical and recording knowledge matched only by his generosity in sharing it.

I had a studio for about ten years. Grew in my chops, eventually. A couple of times in the early days I got stuck in over my head, and he just took my call like he knew me. It meant a lot, as does this board - even if I’m not here regularly anymore. Kinda feels like coming back to the town you lived in for a few formative years, but moved away from.

In any case…I’m sad to hear about Chris. He was more of an influence on me than he knew, and I’m better for having known him even only through the TOMB. Imma buy some red Chucks in his honor…. And throw the feet up in the console…

Be well, TOMB’ers…
Jon
Hey, Jon. Glad you found you way back for Chris' sake. I hope you're doing well.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:40 am

So sad. He seemed like one of the good ones in so many ways.

RIP.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:18 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:54 am

Anyway, I worked on this record for him last year, it's a masterpiece, it's for a great cause, and I'm so glad he was able to do this, it must've been a mountain of work:

https://thedefactobrothers.bandcamp.com ... o-yourself
I just discovered this great interview with Chris about the Be Good To Yourself record.
If you never met him, you can get a sense of his vibe and put a face and voice to his posts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PwELp6VoM

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:40 pm

Oh, no, I'm so sad to hear about Chris' passing. I didn't know him personally, but I felt like I did because he was so generous with his experience and perspective on here. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to him and the rest of you sages for all of your help when I knew barely anything about recording. My heart goes out to his family and to those of you who were lucky enough to know him well.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:29 pm

crow wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:40 pm
Oh, no, I'm so sad to hear about Chris' passing. I didn't know him personally, but I felt like I did because he was so generous with his experience and perspective on here. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to him and the rest of you sages for all of your help when I knew barely anything about recording. My heart goes out to his family and to those of you who were lucky enough to know him well.
Thanks for saying this, Crow.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:13 am

Yes, thank you. I think about him every day.

toilettunes
audio school

Post by toilettunes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:04 pm

so sorry to hear this ...i owe a great deal to this forum and the people who taught me dude was dedicated man to this forum. :cry:

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:21 am

toilettunes wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:04 pm
so sorry to hear this ...i owe a great deal to this forum and the people who taught me dude was dedicated man to this forum. :cry:
Truth.

I'm flying to Charlotte for his memorial next Monday.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:53 pm

drumsound wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:21 am
Please see the man off in style, and include our heartfelt condolences.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:59 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:53 pm
drumsound wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:21 am
Please see the man off in style, and include our heartfelt condolences.
Proudly.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 03, 2022 12:35 am

The Celebration of Chris Garges was tonight, in Charlotte at the Neighborhood Theater. There were TONS of people there and the music did not disappoint. I got to meet a lot of the people who I've heard about in countless stories, and still didn't meet them all.

I cried A LOT.

I arrived in Charlotte Saturday and got to hang out with Chris' wonderful wife Carrie and his right-hand man Daniel Hodges who will be continuing the legacy of Old House Studio. Much of Sunday was spent preparing and casing the 7 drumsets that we brought to the memorial. One for people to play and six others flanking the drum riser. I was so glad to be of help to these wonderful souls who are all so connected to Chris and the Charlotte scene. I totally get why Chris loved it here and why he was hell-bent on cultivating the music of his hometown.