Share any customized shortcuts / workflows for Pro Tools (or other DAWs)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Share any customized shortcuts / workflows for Pro Tools (or other DAWs)

Post by alexdingley » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:15 pm

I'm starting to plan for a future computer update, which means making notes of all of the little tweaks I've made / preferences I've taken time to set a certain way, so that I can more-quickly get the next computer set up with all the right apps / configured all the right ways... this means going through my handful of self-programmed keystroke shortcuts in my typical apps:

Like how I've got the menu-item for "Clip Gain Line" from the View > Clip menu assigned to an F-key on my keyboard... and how I've got an applscript that opens the AudioSuite item for "Send to iZotope RX 8 Connect" assigned to another F-Key.

I haven't taken a close look at these much lately — I just use the handful that I use, and writing it all down made me wonder: What, if any, shortcuts are others programming for themselves? I know that many of us use the stock shortcuts heavily... but are there any menu-dive-saving shortcuts you've developed that you think could be worth sharing?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: Share any customized shortcuts / workflows for Pro Tools (or other DAWs)

Post by The Scum » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:53 pm

I've got a few categories of things I like to have mapped to keystrokes. After some RSI problems, I learned a bunch of keystrokes, so I wasn't stuck with the mouse all the time. Most of this is informed by the keytrokes in Cubase from 15+ years ago.

I'll also using a full-size (105 key) keyboard, and cubase handles the 10-ley numbers differently than the other numbers.

The basics
  • Spacebar toggles playback
  • Keypad enter and 0 play/stop
  • Function keys switch between screen modes (editor, mixer, FX, etc)
  • Number keys switch between the various editing tools, set up in the same order as the onscreen tool icons
  • Keypad * key enables record mode
  • Number-row + adds tracks
I like to be able to get around the session quickly.
  • G and H zoom in & out horizontally
  • [ and ] zoom vertically
  • Arrow keys step around
  • Page up & dn scroll a screen full of tracks at a time
  • home and end move to their respective ends of the session

Then some navigation stuff:
  • Cubase maps the 10-key keys to the first 10 locate points. Tap a key to go there, ctrl+key to set a point at the cursor. Points 1 and 2 are the loop markers, also
  • Insert adds a locate point. I've been known to let the song roll, and tap insert anywhere I think needs more editing attention
I like to be able to do track-related stuff:
  • R toggles track record enable
  • M toggles track mute
  • S toggles track solo
(I wish there was a way to have a dedicated record enable button per track (like a 2" remote, or the Radar remote), but since we can add more tracks than we have buttons, that's not gonna work)
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:58 pm

Nerds.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:18 pm

:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:34 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:58 pm
Nerds.
oh man... you have no idea.

I'm about to build an apple script for "tab to next transient AND THEN run the keystroke for insert-measure" to reduce key strokes when I'm beat mapping. 🤓

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:10 pm

alexdingley wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:34 pm
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:58 pm
Nerds.
oh man... you have no idea.

I'm about to build an apple script for "tab to next transient AND THEN run the keystroke for insert-measure" to reduce key strokes when I'm beat mapping. 🤓
I mean, that sounds awesome.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:57 pm

and yeah... it's a huge improvement. Just used it for about 90 measures and it was probably almost twice as fast as when I would normally use two hands to hit "Tab" and then "⌘ I" — and then I'd have to move one hand out of that keystroke position to type in the measure-value.

Here's the script:

tell application "Pro Tools"
activate
tell application "System Events"
-- Tab to transient
key code 48
key code 34 using command down
end tell
end tell

Now, the caveat is that I'm using a 3rd party applet to allow a single keystroke or key-combo to execute that script. It's called "FastScripts 3" — and it was a free trial that I just paid $39 for. But the fact that I can save half the time on repetitive stuff like that is totally worth a 1-time spend. Part of me wonders if that 40 bucks would have been better applied to an Elgato Stream Deck, and I wonder if their script-execution in pro tools would be as smooth.

On a side note — the only reason I decided it was worth paying for a dedicate app to run these scripts (when 's automator can build your script into an App level "service" that can then be fired off from an identical quick-key) is that I've tried that... and there's weird delays and behavioral issues when PT tries to execute a script from a service. There's a guy on a reddit forum who noted the same behavioral issues, and suggested that using a 3rd party app (like Fastscripts) worked much better. After seeing that it did... I shelled out.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:03 am

only last year did I learn I could right click to name a bus on Pro Tools.
That was pretty handy. Not as handy as number 3 to record but still handy.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:57 am

I detest templates... except now in Nuendo 11, where I created a blank one which only has channel strips on the Input channels.

In Nuendo, Input channels are like regular tracks, where you can insert plug ins, sends etc. They process the incoming signal, which you then assign to a regular channel for recording. Really useful feature, this.

This means I can record using different flavors of plug ins, whole signal chains if need be.

So far I have made a few 16 channel input templates with Neve, API, SSL flavors. And will be trying a few with compressors insert as well, sort of like what we do IRL. Especially once I get going with a new album... and I want to clone what I used to do, like La2a on bass and vocals, 1176 on guitars, etc.

This saves me the hassle of having to try the UAD hardware, which is basically tthe same thing, just with the CPU onboard the converter. Now that Apple has a new M1 chip supercomputer, I expect I won't need to get more outside processors. It sucks that FireWire is no longer supported on the newer Macs, as my UAD FW800 Satellite is now relegated to boat anchor duties. I miss those plugins, but will not be able to use them again until UAD supports the M1 Apple chip, and who knows when that will be.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:02 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:03 am
only last year did I learn I could right click to name a bus on Pro Tools.
That was pretty handy. Not as handy as number 3 to record but still handy.
I actually use command spacebar like using a tape machine for record.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:23 pm

Come to think of it, I need a couple tweaks for editing in Reaper. The main one I use is 'S' to split a track, but on my Dvorak keyboard that comes up right hand which is also where I mouse for editing. I could move that to the left hand, but it's still a laptop keyboard.

Probably I should do something like buy a USB number keypad, because usually those are a different ASCII code and so the keys would be unique. Then I'm not fumbling to get my hand into the right place every time.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:23 pm
Come to think of it, I need a couple tweaks for editing in Reaper. The main one I use is 'S' to split a track, but on my Dvorak keyboard that comes up right hand which is also where I mouse for editing. I could move that to the left hand, but it's still a laptop keyboard.

Probably I should do something like buy a USB number keypad, because usually those are a different ASCII code and so the keys would be unique. Then I'm not fumbling to get my hand into the right place every time.
I never knew about the Dvorak keyboard. Very interesting, but I'm old and use a laptop for personal use, so I'm not switching now.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:38 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:24 pm
I never knew about the Dvorak keyboard. Very interesting, but I'm old and use a laptop for personal use, so I'm not switching now.
A legacy of my former career in software. When it comes to keyboards I'm like a character from an early William Gibson novel.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:37 pm

Johnny?

Johnny Mnemonic, izzat you?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.