kick drum flutter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

kick drum flutter

Post by joninc » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:29 pm

I'm trying to get a nice clean attack on my kick drum and it's sounding more like a flam. I've double checked and it's not a technique issue. The pedal in not bouncing on the head. Here's a clip to demonstrate:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ww3u9jn6xac5 ... e.mp3?dl=0

it's a nice George Way 22" kick with a recently replaced Powerstroke 3 coated head on the beater side. This is an RE20 just peeking in maybe 1 inch
through the reso head pointed straight on at the beater head (but off to the side of the drum - not centered).

is this due to a loose head? I do like a low tuned thud as opposed to a bright tight click - more indie rock than metal.

I have some dampening in the drum but it's not heavily dampened.

SCHOOL ME DRUM WIZARDS.
the new rules : there are no rules

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: kick drum flutter

Post by The Scum » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:56 pm

I'm not hearing anything in there at all?

The first guess is that the beater is bouncing, but you say it's not doing that. I'd have to hear it to guess if the tuning is a problem.

Any of the modern kick heads (powerstroke, superkick, the evans whatzit) make it pretty easy to get a good starting point for kick sounds, but all have attack, and a fair bit of controlled sustain. If that's not what you're going for, a coated ambassador might be the ticket for a good thud.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:50 am

yeah, it seems like the sample you posted is blank/empty - no audio in it.

1. do you hear it when you have just the kick solo'd? do you hear the flam in the higher or lower frequencies?
2. make sure it's not bussed to anything else - if delay comp is not working, or a plugin could add extra delay and cause a "flam" sound
3. what if you put a blanket up against the front, or batter heads (just for testing) - does it go away?
4. there are lots of reflections inside of a drum - if you don't have anything, try sticking a folded up towel at the bottom - it doesn't even have to touch the heads but it will provide some dampening of the reflections - not sure if that would cause it to sound flammy though?
5. is there something else loose - a tom mount post, or a lug bolt?
6. could the mic just be getting a big gust of air (flapping the diaphragm)? what if you reposition the mic or use a different mic?

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:49 am

fixed the sample....
the new rules : there are no rules

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:24 pm

what if you just play single hits - slow quarter notes? to me it does sound like the beater is bouncing slightly. not every time but I hear it on the "and 3" and that could be more about technique - and is probably going to appear when doing faster notes - such as when the "and" is played. if you (or the drummer) play 1 2 3 4 slowly and don't hear it, it's probably because it's easier to recover from the bounce off the head. then try playing either faster quarter notes, or the 1 (2) and 3 (4) beat (like the example) and see if it reappears?

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:06 pm

I think it sounds like the lowest frequencies are slow. The "thump" comes later than the "click".

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:50 pm

Something ain't right with the heads.

If you are a noob at drumkit setups, definitely at least check out some yooboob videos on this, maybe someone here knows of some that can help you.

But yeah, I can definitely hear a weirdo not in tune tone with the kick. And it ain't pretty. Which head it might be? I dunno.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:56 pm

Something I've seen before: all of those fancy heads have muffling laminated onto them - plastic strips, rubber rings, felt donuts. Is it possible that the muffling isn't solidly attached, and is flopping around?

The "& 3" thing is pretty apparent to me, too. The &'s are quieter, less full, and seem like the note is lower than the 3. It sounds like the & is being played by the secondary side of a double pedal, while the 3 is the primary side. The off-center-ness of the secondary of may double pedals makes it so the note is weaker than the primary. Are both heads evenly tuned?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:10 pm

The second downbeat (after the snare) sounds solid, so I'm going with the head being loose enough that it's causing a bit of bounce/buzz.

Try playing with your heel lower, and bring it down to the pedal allowing the beater to get off the head faster and further.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:55 am

Sounds to me as the pedal is bouncing on the and of 3. Not on the 1 or the 3.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sun May 08, 2022 2:48 pm

Sounds ok to me ..sounds like a kick.

As for manipulating theres lots of options: tuning, piece of foam, no foam, or even a paper towel scotch-taped on (my fave).