VNC server for Apple macOS 9

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

VNC server for Apple macOS 9

Post by alexdingley » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:04 pm

This might seem really silly... but I'm posting this here in case there's ever someone (like me) who's looking for a way to control a vintage Mac over their network. I happen to be one of those folks who uses a vintage Powerbook with a very specific PCI-hosted (in an old MagmaPCI chassis) synth cards that ONLY ran in os8-9. It's not something I use all the time, and it's not something I want taking up control-room real-estate, so I've been hunting for a way to have it hooked to my network and just remote control the old Mac from the new Mac. I found one that actually works;

"OS9vnc" [linked here on the Macintosh Repository web site]

This app runs easily & smoothly / comes with a system Extension that makes it really functional, and you can place it into the startup items of the old Mac so that as soon as it boots up, you're able to control it from your new Macs. I just tested the VNC-connectability... it works pretty flawlessly in macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) all the way through macOS 12 (Monterey even on my m1 Pro laptop)... I don't have any previous intel macOS installs, but if it works on the above smattering of operating systems, it should work just the same in the "ScreenSharing.app" that's built into macOS. That screen sharing app even lets you drag a shortcut into your dock so that you can launch a screen-share like it's an app. Very handy.

Anyway — if someone out there is trying to run TurboSynth / OASYS-PCI / Creamware Puslar / Unity-DS-1 or something else in the really really really old pre-OS X world, this app presents a cool option to de-clutter your space.