Bluetooth from studio to my phone?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

Bluetooth from studio to my phone?

Post by DrummerMan » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:52 am

Hey all! Wondering if anyone has or knows what the best device is to accomplish this without spending too much bread:

Basically, I want to be able to send audio from my studio ins and outs (either direct from the pres or from within the DAW) back and forth to my smartphone. Essentially making my mic pre and studio cans act as a pair of Bluetooth headphones.

When my old phone still had a 1/8" jack this was easy, but now that those are gone I am limited to my Bluetooth headphones if I need to interface directly with the phone.

I've seen a few devices out there but they seem to not be created for my specific needs and I'm not sure if they will function the way I need.

Anyone have experience with this kind of thing and can recommend a specific device? Thanks!

PS, if it matters I'm on an Android phone and using Logic X on a Mac Mini.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: Bluetooth from studio to my phone?

Post by The Scum » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:41 pm

I don't know if there's a common bluetooth device that does that you're describing. I've seen several gizmos that let you stream audio off the phone into external gear, but I think they're unidirectional. The little modules built into Lepai amps, or boxes like those from Rolls or Kali.

Bluetooth itself is also part of the problem - it doesn't do high-quality stereo in both directions at the same time.

The usual mode/protocol used for decent-quality stereo is A2DP, which is compressed unidirectional stereo. I think it's also got a side-channel for control information like volume control and pause/play (or perhaps using AVRCP protocol for those?).

The other common audio protocols are HSP and HFP ("handset profile", "hands free profile"), which are for phone calls. It's bidirectional, but mono each way, using "voice quality" encoding.

When you go to/from music & calling, the system switches between the profiles (or simply doesn't support both).
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:51 pm

It's not wireless, but a little USB interface probably does exactly what you're looking for.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Don't give W*lmart the money, but maybe $16 will get you there?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bluetooth-5- ... 2d63fd229d

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:01 pm

DrummerMan wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:52 am
Hey all! Wondering if anyone has or knows what the best device is to accomplish this without spending too much bread:

Basically, I want to be able to send audio from my studio ins and outs (either direct from the pres or from within the DAW) back and forth to my smartphone. Essentially making my mic pre and studio cans act as a pair of Bluetooth headphones.

PS, if it matters I'm on an Android phone and using Logic X on a Mac Mini.
Hey Geoff!

I do not think there is an easy way to buy a device to pump audio into your phone.

I did find this:

https://android.stackexchange.com/quest ... -recording

You'd have to be able to pair the output device to your phone, instead of the normal way around. Sadly, there are some 500 series bluetooth receivers which are great, but none pump out to phones.

There are some bluetooth headsets with mics, but maybe modding one of those might be too complicated.

Good luck finding this, it sounds like an interesting idea!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:13 am

I think it's easy to get connectivity going into the computer, so that you can play something that lives on your phone through your studio monitors, etc. -- you could use bluetooth instead of the 1/8" stereo cord (but as mentioned earlier, quality can be hit or miss depending on transmitter and/or receiver)

but maybe if you are trying to play audio files that live on the computer (DAW) then some type of file sharing over wifi might be easier? Google drive, OneDrive, iCloud, Dropbox (yuck!), etc. - something you could use to "connect" to the computer, or the cloud, to access the files you want to play. that would also allow you to upload/download files between the phone and computer w/o connecting a USB cable (but bluetooth won't do that for you). granted, if you use the cloud this might be a 2-step maneuver each way. but it all exists today and costs you nothing (if you use the free cloud sharing).

anyway, just another idea...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com