4 Pin 'Aphenol' to 3 Pin 'XLR' Adapter (L3MN)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

buck1112
audio school

4 Pin 'Aphenol' to 3 Pin 'XLR' Adapter (L3MN)

Post by buck1112 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:40 pm

Hi all!
I found a nice older Shure 545 (Series 2 - "pistol grip") microphone that needed some work, for 'cheap' at a garage sale.
One of the challenges is that I would like to find one of the adapters that Switchcraft used to make (#L3MN), that would adapt the 4 pin 'Amphenol' connector on the mic base to the now more standard 3 pin 'XLR'.
It looks like Switchcraft doesn't make that L3MN adapter anymore, but I just thought I'd put out feelers to see if any of you have seen anything like that or may know of a good alternative? I'd considered making a 'pigtail', but the weight of the pigtail made me go off that idea.

Thanks for your help and leads,
Buck

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: 4 Pin 'Aphenol' to 3 Pin 'XLR' Adapter (L3MN)

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Tue May 10, 2022 2:30 pm

The easiest way is to get an MC4M connector, an XLR plug and some mic cable and make an adapter cable of whatever length suits you. I have a couple myself. The only problem is that the MC4M connector has become stupidly expensive. On occasion I've seen mics sell with an adapter cable for less than the price of an MC4M. So you could potentially get an adapter cable plus another cool mic for less than you'd spend for a new MC4M.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 11, 2022 7:31 am

I love those mic's on guitar amps, plus they look cool enuff to garner questions from the punters.

Can't vouch for this but I found:
https://troutunderground.com/Connectors-Amphenol-4-Pin/
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed May 11, 2022 9:55 am

The official answer from Shure appears to be "make a pigtail," and "doublecheck the polarity, because the mic might be wired wrong."

The article also refers to Tom Ellis and Associates as a source of readymade pigtails, but they appear to be a healthcare consulting company...
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 11, 2022 2:24 pm

The Scum wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:55 am
The article also refers to Tom Ellis and Associates as a source of readymade pigtails, but they appear to be a healthcare consulting company...
if you check out the website (about Tom), it says Tom is into music, so probably is/was a side hustle for him.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com