Best bi-directional 8 ch. balanced/unbalanced converter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ah345
audio school

Best bi-directional 8 ch. balanced/unbalanced converter

Post by ah345 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:00 am

Looking for the best/most cost effective standalone unit that can convert balanced to unbalanced and vice versa. Was looking at the tascam la 81MKII, but that looks to be unidirectional and would need to get a separate unit to go the other way. Thoughts on the ebtech one? Thanks!

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: Best bi-directional 8 ch. balanced/unbalanced converter

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:19 am

There's an AMR Peavey one from back in the day that is very well featured. (I have one but I'm not in front of it to give you the model #.) Goes both ways, adjustable gain level on each channel. It's 2U high, which makes it a bit of a space hog, but if you really need this sort of box the size may not be that big an issue.

ah345
audio school

Post by ah345 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:51 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:19 am
There's an AMR Peavey one from back in the day that is very well featured. (I have one but I'm not in front of it to give you the model #.) Goes both ways, adjustable gain level on each channel. It's 2U high, which makes it a bit of a space hog, but if you really need this sort of box the size may not be that big an issue.
Thanks! Turns out someone has the 8 ch ebtech line converter here for next to nothing, so I'll try that and then look into the peavey if I need something better.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:26 pm

Just for the record, the Peavey piece is the IA 8410 Eight Channel Interface Amplifier. It's pretty over-the-top in a good way. Here's an old random listing I found just to give you an idea of what it looks like:
https://reverb.com/item/3342612-peavey- ... veling-amp