Curiosity about 1/2" 16-tracks w/ RCA inputs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Curiosity about 1/2" 16-tracks w/ RCA inputs

Post by alexdingley » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:50 pm

I've never really lived & worked on any of these devices, but I'm in talks w/ a friend who's got (I believe) a Tascam 16-trk 1/2" machine + a pile of old session & rehearsal tapes that he wants transferred to PT/Logic — with no deadline, just a passion project that he'd love to have done. There's a chance I might get paid in trade (with the deck, itself), and I'm curious about a few things here.

My band and I have often talked about doing a fun project of recording a few songs fully analog like that. But one of the primary questions I have is about connectivity & signal levels, based on the following details:
  • The Tascam & (similar) Fostex machines all seem to have 16 RCA ins / 16 RCA outs
  • RCA in/outs tend to be set up with a -10 line level
  • Much of my gear is +4 line level using TRS / XLR / DB25.
Does someone who wants to hook an unbalanced -10 line level MTR up to a fully balanced / +4 line level rig just use a whole shit-ton of EbTech Line-Level shifters? Or is there some level-setting trick that someone typically uses to make sure their +4 world isn't abusing (nor being underserved by) this -10 unit?

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: Curiosity about 1/2" 16-tracks w/ RCA inputs

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:54 pm

On another thread I recently recommended the Peavey IA 8410--8 channels of +4/-10 and -10/+4 conversion. 1/4" and RCA ins/outs for the -10. (Screwdriver)-adjustable gain both ways. I've been using mine a good bit recently & it's been quite handy.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:08 am

the mixers back then had unbalanced connections (Tascam mixer, Sound Workshop 1280, etc) so it wasn't an issue.

for nowadays you can also use Tascam LA-40, LA-41 which are similar to the ebtechs, you can find them used for cheap.

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:20 am

Long ago and far away I recorded a project on a 16 track 1/2" Tascam. A friend had a complete and decent studio space, I traded a week in there for setting up his guitars.

Before negotiating a payment/barter, take a good listen to the results of your friend's recordings.

They don't sound that great when they are new and in good condition, certainly not at the level of "big tape moving fast" or anywhere as good as digital with a decent tape simulation plugin.

Maintenance is a PITA as well. The advice to use a -10 mixer is good, they often go cheap if your buddy does not have one.
I'd want cash or a different equipment trade for doing the transfers. You could give me a free Tascam 16 track but I'd sell it immediately in as-is condition and move on. Just my 2 cents.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:10 pm

i believe tapeop forum member A. David McKinnion (Sp?) has a Tascam MSR-16 that he uses in his studio, i believe it's 16 tracks on 1/2", you could try reaching out to him via PM for advice, he's a super friendly guy that has helped me in the past with random questions on stuff.

you're going to need to use the noise reduction built in, it should be DBX. Honestly i say go for it, there are plenty of old mixers you can find that have unbalanced direct outs and tape in's on them. Try Sound Workshop, Ramsa, Yamaha, Tascam, Fostex, and basically anything from the 80's or 90's when those recorders were popular.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:24 pm

I had Fostex 8 and 16 track decks back in the day. When “everybody” started using ADATs they were going pretty cheap.

Best mixer I had for that was a Studiomaster. I liked it more than Mackie. The first mixer was a Fostex made to go with those decks. It actually sounded better than the Mackie but was pretty noisy.

If I were doing this today I’d probably look for Allen & Heath or Ramsa mixers. Maybe Soundtracs? Maybe one of the higher end Tascams? I remember hearing good things about all of those back in the rec.audio.pro days.

Alignment and calibration is a pain, you have set it up, rewind, play it back since you won’t have 3 heads.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:39 pm

Some of Ottmar Liebert's records were made with a Fostex 16 track. Can't remember the exact model, but did transfer the stuff to digital for archiving long after it had been released, and the tracks sounded great.

As always "s$&t in, s@#t out."

We did get our hands on two unbalanced to balanced units, 8 channels each, to make the levels match our pro converters. Someone else mentioned them earlier on here.

I'd say hear your friends' material first, before deciding on getting the unit in trade. If the machine is well maintained, it should be fine. If not, run away from it, get paid money instead.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:59 pm

I’d also make sure that whatever tapes and the deck are in playable condition to begin with - if not you’ll have a headache. I’d rather have cash and bill by the hour, depending on the condition of the tapes you may also have a lot of physical cleaning to do, as well as demagnetizing. Maybe try a tape out before agreeing to a rate for the project.

I have a soft spot for these kind of machines (I have owned most varieties but currently have two 388s) though I tend to agree that ownership can sometimes be more trouble than it’s worth, ymmv.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:48 am

Thanks all! This is very helpful info, especially the different models of line level adjusters!

I’m not trying to move away from my normal rig; (well, actually I am… but the move is from a Toft console w/ antelope I/O & dangerous summing -> Metric Halo ULN8’s and ITB mixing/summing…. But that’s not the point) I’m just curious enough about “what would it feel like to work in this method for a project or two?” And somewhat excited about not having hunt for & purchase a deck (and worry about it surviving shipping)

If this happens, I’ll be sharing more / asking more

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:59 pm

Maybe rent a digital mixer that has multitrack USB or Firewire (or Dante?) output? That way you'd have inputs with a gain stage, so you could bring the levels up to line as needed.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:57 am

for the record, here's another (Aphex) line level converter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175249085873?h ... SwTYRiXsuo

(not mine)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:53 am

I have Fostex 5030 8-channel -10 +4 converter in the attic. Let me know if you want it. I think I’ve probably got 8 channel Hosa rca snakes I could throw in. Message me if that sounds helpful, I’m in DC.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:29 pm

I mix and match using adaptors ..mostly works ..can't think of a time it didn't.