Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Watts going ohm?

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:35 pm

Jitters wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:40 am
Really? Why do I need these? What are they going to tell me that the DT770s aren’t?
I find them very "neutral" because they're an open back design. Nothing is hyped, so I can make decisions in regards to mixes when A/B'ing between my monitors, my Beyers, my cheaper tracking headphones, and then finally the AKG's.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:40 am

I see. I’ll add a pair to the never ending list. haha

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:02 am

AKG K240's have been around since the 1970's (albeit with a few changes over the years) and sold for $100 or more for as long as I can remember. Recent years they have been on sale - probably just because there are so many new, sexy models to compete with. But you really can't go wrong with a pair of these. i recently "converted" a client that wanted to track with no headphones to using a pair of these - because they get a little "room" sound in the headphones, they felt comfortable. And even though I get a little bleed back into the mic, it's way better than without headphones. win-win.

also, I believe in having several different pairs of headphones around because everybody's head and ears are shaped differently so nobody "fits' in a pair of headphones the same way. and that potentially means everybody hears them a little differently. Whereas when sitting in front of a pair of monitors, we hear roughly the same thing (minus the destruction I have from drumming and guitar players...) :D
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com