Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Name 3 core mics

Post by trodden » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:40 pm

standup wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:38 pm
I remember thinking about this years ago. I figured I could record anything with: EV PL20, Oktava 012 (pair, so cheating) and what was my best LDC at the time, a Soundelux u195.

I still have everything but the soundelux, so this year my “do anything” LDC would be Gefell UM70.
I've heard that many times about the UM70. It can do anything, and does it well.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:04 pm

If versatility is key and one mic at a time will do, I’d honestly push for a solid workhorse. The Serrano 87 is awesome! It has unseated my U195/414B ULS for first call in those kinda situations where I don’t wanna (or can’t) pull out a fancy tube condenser.

If multiple mics are critical:
I would snag an Oktava MK012. I would literally toss one of mine on almost anything if I needed. Can be had at Thomann for under $200 easy. Even less used. Additional capsules available as needed

I’d try and find a modded ribbon. Even one where someone ripped out the extra mesh in the headbasket and swapped the transformer. I’ve bought many over the years for not a ton of scratch.

If you must get an LDC, for cheap, the SE X1D is a steal if you can find it! I got most of mine for about $75 each!
AT 4033 is good and far easier to find. Technically I think it’s more a medium diaphragm, tho. Lack of polar patterns and a little light in the low end

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:07 pm

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:04 pm
If versatility is key and one mic at a time will do, I’d honestly push for a solid workhorse. The Serrano 87 is awesome! It has unseated my U195/414B ULS for first call in those kinda situations where I don’t wanna (or can’t) pull out a fancy tube condenser.

If multiple mics are critical:
I would snag an Oktava MK012. I would literally toss one of mine on almost anything if I needed. Can be had at Thomann for under $200 easy. Even less used. Additional capsules available as needed

I’d try and find a modded ribbon. Even one where someone ripped out the extra mesh in the headbasket and swapped the transformer. I’ve bought many over the years for not a ton of scratch.

If you must get an LDC, for cheap, the SE X1D is a steal if you can find it! I got most of mine for about $75 each!
AT 4033 is good and far easier to find. Technically I think it’s more a medium diaphragm, tho. Lack of polar patterns and a little light in the low end
I've not heard of the Serrano 87! Wow, and it's not priced stupid high either!!! Thanks!

The first studio I worked in, 1997-1998, we got a 4033 and it was our first "pro" mic. everything else was 57's, 58's, some E/V dynamics,and crappy AA powered condensers, pair of AKG 3000s, oh and a Rhode LDC. I used that 4033 on fucking everything. It's still a contender for "budget yet good" in my opinion.

I'm so glad I got on the Oktava MK012 trip in the early 00's. I've been using them more than any mic for the last 25 years. More than SM57s even. 2003-2015 they were my OH's and my tom mics. The last couple years I've not been making as many records as the previous decades, and when I do, i've been using the WARM WA-14's i've had for a few years on OH's. I've always wanted a pair of 414 b-Uls, never could afford that, these are "close enough". I keep telling myself to get a second AT 4047, because that mic fucking rules as well. I need to get another FET condenser for "low freq" use. Because I like the 4047 on kick and bass cab, as well as guitar amps.

I have to say, getting some ribbon mics changed everything. I got an Oktava ML-52 many years ago and it changed my abilities with high gain guitar amp recording drastically. Between it and the three ShinyBox ribbons, one modded TOMB ribbon, and a Beyer 260... they get used every full band tracking. Front of Kit M/S, Room mics and guitar cabs.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:42 pm

Yeah, I have a Shinybox 23L that the maker rehab'd for me - so fcuking sweet as the S of the M/S for which I use various mid mics, lately a EV609 because it's mounted on a stand. But even the MXL R40 ribbons are useful, and I have a MXL long-body looks like a Royer and sounds OK but looks like a Royer!, an NOS R2 which I tightened the ribbon and pulled the screens and stuffing from (did that on the R40's, also), and on, I think Ambel's reco, a Beyer M500 that is just so good on vocals I don't even wanna risk it on amps. Ribbons, BTW, totally benefit by those inline preamp things, except I like vocals better without using one.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:12 am

vvv wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:42 pm
Beyer M500 that is just so good on vocals I don't even wanna risk it on amps.
Inside, an M500 has a mini-pop screen that sits right over the ribbon--and that, of course, is in addition to the headbasket itself. I don't think that you're gonna blow your M500 in front of (most) guitar amps--it's pretty well protected in there.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:32 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:12 am
Inside, an M500 has a mini-pop screen that sits right over the ribbon--and that, of course, is in addition to the headbasket itself. I don't think that you're gonna blow your M500 in front of (most) guitar amps--it's pretty well protected in there.
I concur. I repair a lot of M500, the internal protection that keeps it from blowing up on vocals is going to do the same on amps.

Regards

Jon

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:31 pm

You guys say that like you don't think I take everything apart as soon as I can after getting it. :D

Especially something so unique!

(Wuzza beeyotch as I recall - something weird about the ball, mebbe?)

And yet, that's how much I value it ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:56 pm

Heil Pr40,Beyer M88,Ev 635
I am the Walnut

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:43 pm

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:56 pm
The all dynamic approach. I like it. Heil for some top, M88 for the muscle, and 635 for the mid heavy and Omni.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:43 pm

Burnt Ernie wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:56 pm
635 on guitar amps! Omni means that there's a lot less tweaky moving around because there's no proximity effect.

My other two faves would be an original E100 and of course Alice.

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:01 pm

I just gave someone advice to avoid the cheap ribbons, so count me as a +1 there. Another mic to consider is the Telefunken m82. Can do the podcast thing pretty well and also has a couple of EQ switches to do the kick drum mic thing. Get two birds stoned at once or whatever.
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:27 am

Low cost ribbon... SE VR1. Rules on amps, OH's, room, etc. Built like a tank, can handle insane volumes (like dimed 100w JCM800, Orange OR120 volume). There's an active version too that I bet is also great.

Dynamics... pretty much any of the usual suspects. M88, M201, SM7, RE20, used 441.

I'd probably stick with AT mics for a lower priced condenser. I like the 4033. I had a 4050 for a bit and wish I never sold it.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:27 am
Low cost ribbon... SE VR1. Rules on amps, OH's, room, etc. Built like a tank, can handle insane volumes (like dimed 100w JCM800, Orange OR120 volume). There's an active version too that I bet is also great.
I don't NEED another ribbon mic since I have six already, but fuck, I WANT a pair of these badly. I've finally gotten over the fact that a Coles or Royer is always going to be out of my price range, so the VR1 and beyer 160 are still hanging out on the want list.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:55 am

trodden wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
I don't NEED another ribbon mic since I have six already, but fuck, I WANT a pair of these badly. I've finally gotten over the fact that a Coles or Royer is always going to be out of my price range, so the VR1 and beyer 160 are still hanging out on the want list.
Yea man. Evans turned me on to them and I bought a pair. They fuckin rule. I actually want to get a 2nd pair because I've been really into how they sound as OH's, but if I use them there I can't use them on guitar. haha. It's always a thing. Definitely recommended though. The Coles are magic, but only work on amps like 1 out of every 10 attempts and it's never on anything louder than I can shout over. VR in front of a painfully loud Matamp doesn't flinch. I've shot them out against a 121 several times, and most of those times I picked the VR. Royer has a thing though for sure. I'd love to own one at some point, but it's very low on my list of priorities at this point.

This is a recent thing that came out where both guitars were recorded with a VR + a dynamic (I think 57 on the left, M88 on the right), but the VR is doing most of the heavy lifting for sure.

Here I used it on OH's and guitars (combined with a bit of SM7).
Last edited by Recycled_Brains on Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:59 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:55 am
trodden wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Yea man. Evans turned me on to them and I bought a pair. They fuckin rule. I actually want to get a 2nd pair because I've been really into how they sound as OH's, but if I use them there I can't use them on guitar. haha. It's always a thing. Definitely recommended though. The Coles are magic, but only work on amps like 1 out of every 10 attempts and it's never on anything louder than I can shout over. VR in front of a painfully loud Matamp doesn't flinch. I've shot them out against a 121 several times, and most of those times I picked the VR. Royer has a thing though for sure. I'd love to own one at some point, but it's very low on my list of priorities at this point.
That's right. He is a fan of those. I've punished him about them a number of times. Between he and you, sold. Maybe I'll sell a pair of 421's to do it. Because between four 421s and three ATM-25s... That's some redundancy.