I don't need another ribbon...or do I?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: I don't need another ribbon...or do I?

Post by Jitters » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:37 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:01 pm
Jitters wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:03 pm
I just have an m160, and I'm torn between getting another one or getting an m130. I suppose the m130 would offer more options, but the two m160s might be nice for drums overheads. Then again, m260s on s jecklin disc in front of a kit is probably pretty sexy too. Haha, now I remember why I stopped reading these boards.
I was just re-reading this post...

I always advocate for getting pairs of everything. I wish I had pairs of every mic I own. Having one of each would obviously be awesome, but then you're sort of locked in to certain setups if you're going for a true stereo configuration of some sort. If you're unlike me and your on-the-spectrum vibe doesn't make you thoroughly hung up on symmetry, then I say go for it if you have other solid choices for a spaced pair or XY or whatever. I've really fallen in love with MS mic'ing the past couple of years too, so I wouldn't discourage having that be your thing at all. It's probably my favorite current room mic setup. I should really try it for OH's too.
I just recorded a friends' fiddle parts with my m160 and he liked the sound so much that he ordered one, so I kind of feel like I own a pair now, but one is just staying at his house lol. I definitely take your point, but I'm just a hobbyist and I need to stop throwing money at this.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:18 am

Jitters wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:37 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:01 pm
Jitters wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:03 pm
I just have an m160, and I'm torn between getting another one or getting an m130. I suppose the m130 would offer more options, but the two m160s might be nice for drums overheads. Then again, m260s on s jecklin disc in front of a kit is probably pretty sexy too. Haha, now I remember why I stopped reading these boards.
I was just re-reading this post...

I always advocate for getting pairs of everything. I wish I had pairs of every mic I own. Having one of each would obviously be awesome, but then you're sort of locked in to certain setups if you're going for a true stereo configuration of some sort. If you're unlike me and your on-the-spectrum vibe doesn't make you thoroughly hung up on symmetry, then I say go for it if you have other solid choices for a spaced pair or XY or whatever. I've really fallen in love with MS mic'ing the past couple of years too, so I wouldn't discourage having that be your thing at all. It's probably my favorite current room mic setup. I should really try it for OH's too.
I just recorded a friends' fiddle parts with my m160 and he liked the sound so much that he ordered one, so I kind of feel like I own a pair now, but one is just staying at his house lol. I definitely take your point, but I'm just a hobbyist and I need to stop throwing money at this.
Oh yea, totally get that. You do have a pair now! I share stuff with friends all the time. That's how I got a pair of 4038's. I bought one, buddy got the other and we just keep them both together at the studio. I was just saying IF you were to buy another ribbon, making it a pair would be a good move. Next time you track drums borrow that other and use em as OH's. You'll be stoked.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:19 pm

I don’t doubt it at all, I’m pretty jazzed with the way the mono capture went!

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:56 am

I have a pair of modded Apex 205 and a pair of Rode NTR. Only the NTR get used now. Fabulous mics.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:13 am

I had one of those Rode NTR's when they first came out. It is a really nice mic. Another one of those (IMO) less colored sounding ribbons though- where it sounded more like a nice condenser with the top rolled off a bit. I recall trying it on a few vocals, some percussion, room, etc.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com