Cheap Spring Reverb Solution Volume IV - Budget Consumer Equipment (FOSTEX 3180)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Evilash1996
audio school

Cheap Spring Reverb Solution Volume IV - Budget Consumer Equipment (FOSTEX 3180)

Post by Evilash1996 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:58 pm

Hello everyone,

Another installment into my "Cheap Spring Reverb" series. This time I take on the Fostex 3180. This noisy little machine adds a nice sheen to any track I pass through it. Very versatile in my opinion if you aren't looking to spend a large sum of money. I think I picked up mine for something around $100-$200 a little while back. Well worth the money I would say.

I see some of these currently listed on Ebay and the like for $400+. Too much money in my opinion. Just buy the Furman RV-1 at that price range. What budget consumer spring reverbs are you guys rocking these days? Would love to hear of some hidden gems that might be floating around for cheap. Lord knows I'd be willing to shell more money out for another toy :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1oIo-zRu80

Cheers,
Mario

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: Cheap Spring Reverb Solution Volume IV - Budget Consumer Equipment (FOSTEX 3180)

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:15 pm

In the prosumer category, the Tapco 4400 is pretty cool. It takes up a lot of space though. I'm sure people want hundreds for those now too.

And there's its relative, the Electro-Voice EVT4500. Mono, but takes up far less rack space.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Cheap Spring Reverb Solution Volume IV - Budget Consumer Equipment (FOSTEX 3180)

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:45 am

I've had pretty extensive experience with both the tapco and fostex. A studio that I've done a ton of work at has both and they both get a work out. I feel like the Tapco unit is head and shoulders above the fostex. It sounds way smother, quieter and classier. I like it so much that I made an impulse response of it so I can use it when I'm mixing in the box.
It takes up a ton of rack space but it's worth the real estate.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:02 am

Surfybear makes spring reverbs that are pretty great. They just put out a “studio” spring, but looks like it’s not cheap. $650.

I was in the right place at the right time and got an Orban spring really cheap from a studio that was closing down.

And this looks ridiculously cool, all labeling is in Russian:

https://reverb.com/item/59559294-echo-e ... 7gQAvD_BwE

Evilash1996
audio school

Post by Evilash1996 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:55 am

Thanks for the reply everyone! That Russian Delay/Reverb Unit looks killer!!! That things got like double the number of tape heads compared to a Space Echo! I'd love to hear a demo of that sonsabitch.

I'm surprised I haven't heard about the EV spring reverb before. Some of these units seem to "slip through the cracks" so to speak on these forums. I gotta keep my eye out for one of these!

Cheers,
Mario

Evilash1996
audio school

Post by Evilash1996 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:58 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:45 am
...I like it so much that I made an impulse response of it so I can use it when I'm mixing in the box.

I'm not familiar with this process can you please explain?

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:16 am

It's basically sampling spaces or reverbs for use with a convolution reverb plug in. You feed a tone sweep into the device (or room) and record the result. The plug in uses the result to create a digital version of that space.

I do lots of location recording and find it very useful to be able to sample the room that I'm recording in. It means that overdubs done elsewhere can be put into the same space. I also work in lots of different studios and find it useful to take a sample of whatever reverb I've been using on a session.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:06 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:16 am
It's basically sampling spaces or reverbs for use with a convolution reverb plug in. You feed a tone sweep into the device (or room) and record the result. The plug in uses the result to create a digital version of that space.

I do lots of location recording and find it very useful to be able to sample the room that I'm recording in. It means that overdubs done elsewhere can be put into the same space. I also work in lots of different studios and find it useful to take a sample of whatever reverb I've been using on a session.
Which convolution reverb do you use, and do you need a different program to create the impulse?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:44 pm

I have a QSBII (QuadraSoundBlender) what is a small 120v. spring unit with a two prong sold under a cuppla names - I think mine is Monkey Wards - as (not so famously) used by such artists at that one guitar Player in 3 Dog Night and, well, him.

It's kinda not at all like a 7ender spring, but it sounds pretty OK. Got a very basic vibrato, also and they can be used alone or together, along with a slight pre-amp boost.

Makes me feel a little like Jon Brion.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:15 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:06 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:

Which convolution reverb do you use, and do you need a different program to create the impulse?
I use the Waves IR plug but really only because it was on the house computer at the studio I used to co-own and it was a known commodity when it came time to buy something for my own system. It works just fine but there are probably lots of others that do too.
It comes with a 96k WAV sweep file and detailed instructions for making your own IRs. Once you've run the sweep trough your space, device, whatever you can load it via the plug in and it will create an IR and pre-set . It's pretty easy and painless.
Last edited by A.David.MacKinnon on Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:15 pm

vvv wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:44 pm
I have a QSBII (QuadraSoundBlender) what is a small 120v. spring unit with a two prong sold under a cuppla names - I think mine is Monkey Wards - as (not so famously) used by such artists at that one guitar Player in 3 Dog Night and, well, him.

It's kinda not at all like a 7ender spring, but it sounds pretty OK. Got a very basic vibrato, also and they can be used alone or together, along with a slight pre-amp boost.

Makes me feel a little like Jon Brion.
Sounds a little like the Peavey Valve-verb.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:43 am

I never heard the ValveVerb but of this I would say it's kinda unique inna low-fi way.

I reckon somebody should do a post on reverb pedals; mebbe I will someday, as I have ... more than one.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Evilash1996
audio school

Post by Evilash1996 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:01 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:43 am
I never heard the ValveVerb but of this I would say it's kinda unique inna low-fi way.

I reckon somebody should do a post on reverb pedals; mebbe I will someday, as I have ... more than one.
You should absolutely do that. I would do it but I don't have any reverb pedals to test haha!

Cheers,
Mario

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:42 am

I had a Pioneer SR-202W (that I just recently parted with) that was pretty cool. It had a fairly short reverb but also a kinda unique sound. You can find these pretty easily. I just put 1/4" jacks on mine ( to make it easier) and had to replace a couple bulbs to get the cool green glow back into action...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:57 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:15 pm
drumsound wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:06 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:

I use the Waves IR plug but really only because it was on the house computer at the studio I used to co-own and it was a known commodity when it came time to buy something for my own system. It works just fine but there are probably lots of others that do too.
It comes with a 96k WAV sweep file and detailed instructions for making your own IRs. Once you've run the sweep trough your space, device, whatever you can load it via the plug in and it will create an IR and pre-set . It's pretty easy and painless.
That's really cool. I have the Audio Thing Fog Convolver and I'd like to make a few custom IRs. There's a bathroom at one of the universities that is AMAZING. I was thinking of concert halls as well.