I'm much happier now...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

I'm much happier now...

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:36 am

I won't be too specific, but I had a client recently who was really difficult to work with. I also had to work much harder to compensate for a lack of talent (and I've done that before but usually they were nice people...) and any production advice was generally rejected. The client was always willing to pay for the time, but I finally decided I'd had enough (and didn't really want to be a part of it) and politely informed them that they would be better served elsewhere... at which point they went bonkers. I mean really bonkers. :shake:

Anyway, fast-forward a couple months and I've been working with folks that I really enjoy and I love it. I was not at any kind of risk of a mental breakdown or anything, but my wife (who also complains about her work) noticed I am now excited about the studio again as opposed to dreading it. I've also recognized a few other potential nut cases and been able to run away (run away! run away! ni!). And since my studio is not really a commercial entity, I do choose who I get to work with (many times based on recommendations from others). I'm sure I'm not alone in this experience...
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

analogika
gettin' sounds

Re: I'm much happier now...

Post by analogika » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:46 am

Yes!

If you have the option of excising assholes from your work environment, always use that option.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:26 am

Good on you for recognizing the problem as a problem and not "needing" the gig so much you couldn't walk away. I've been in the same situation a few time and could not always afford to get myself out of it. No fun.
That said, real asshole clients are pretty rare in my experience. More often I've had clients were were super nice and amazingly talented but for whatever reason we just weren't a good fit with for other.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:24 pm

Excising indeed... and I suppose there is always a few out there that will just never be a good fit for whatever reasons. Just gotta move on and not take it personally because there are a lot of talented and nice people out there that need help doing what we do.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:58 pm

I am a professional in a service bidness based on conflict - I am forever finding out why my clients are in conflicts in the first place.

And yep, it gets very tiring, which is why I always make sure I am able to get paid before doing anything, and console myself that I am going to get or did get paid when those conflicts shift to involve me.

Music being my avocation rather than my vocation, I walk away immediately when that shite starts - which makes it hard to even be in a band, much less make money recording folks.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Been there, and did the same.

People's stuff is only tolerable for so long.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:44 pm

Wow, yep — well done Mike! It's always nice to see demonstrable proof that money cannot buy happiness. My music/audio production is not a commercially bookable entity either, so I'm in the same boat. I have a day job where I've heard our CEO tell a prospect something like; "we're not the right platform for you. Why? Oh, because I would never subject anyone from my company to being talked to the way you've approached the conversation with me. Best of luck." And it was so reassuring.

Glad you're happier and glad you're feeling excited to be back in the studio with other/new clients!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:45 am

Good to hear it.

I've done it a couple times and have experienced the positives you mention and zero regrets.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:13 pm

I hear yah!
Between losing my last space, being priced out of my city, forced to move down the road where the rent is cheaper, being cut off from my community, and hitting a major mental illness debacle, and not having a place to regularly work for a couple of years... It's been a good 5 years since I've had regular clients and I'm finally ready to do it again. In 2015 found myself working 80 hours a week, but getting paid for maybe 50 of it due to problem people that I should have said "No" to over and over again. Dealing with shit talk whenever I would raise my rates, and whenever I wouldn't work for free.. The few records I've taken on the last four years have been laid back, and on my own terms... I think I like the studio again.