Are VCRs the World's Cheapest Hi-Fi Reel-to-Reel?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Evilash1996
audio school

Post by Evilash1996 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:33 pm

This may sound like a clickbait title to some, but how far off from the truth is it? You may say I am stretching the definition of what defines a "Reel to Reel", but think about it for a second. How different is a VHS tape being "spun" in your VCR than your tapes on your Tascam Half Track? I guess by that logic you can also call a cassette player a Reel to Reel....

OKAY FINE, I will admit I don't consider a cassette player a Reel to Reel. But still, a VCR capable of Hi-Fi audio is sonically superior to a cassette. This may come to a surprise to most, but some old tape heads out there know this too be true. When this Hi-Fi audio technology hit the market, many home recordists took full advantage of the full range frequency (20Hz - 20KHz) and the dynamic range of 90db!! There's a little more nuisance to the audio quality, but hopefully I can get a conversation going and get some input from people who have used VCRs for mixdowns and bouncedowns in the past.

I made a video on the topic where I go into more details. I also do some tests where I compare several mixdowns that were done on my VCR (I go through the Hi-Fi audio system as well as the "Lo-Fi"). It's a fun one for sure and I hope you all can enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/3G4vWd6-aFs

Cheers,
Mario