Any Mojave Audio MA-101 FET owners?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Any Mojave Audio MA-101 FET owners?

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:20 am

they don't sell it anymore, but just wondered if anyone else has one and if you have ever tried other capsules on it?

Mine came with the standard cardioid and omni. I think the Cardioid capsule is going bad though. It all of a sudden was making the dreaded "ocean sounds" (aka white noise) at the end of a session (luckily I don't hear it on the recordings which were only scratch anyway...) and then it started making random pops and clicks. I've reseated and swapped everything down to the capsule and it seems like the omni capsule is OK. Go tthe cardioid capsule in a bag of rice right now (figured it was worth a shot). I've got an email into Mojave too but since they don't make it anymore, and it seems like this might be a standard kind of threaded capsule I was just wondering if anyone else had tried swapping them before? Hoping I can get another capsule since I use the cardioid more often.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

mjau
speech impediment

Re: Any Mojave Audio MA-101 FET owners?

Post by mjau » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:51 pm

Not sure if this is helpful, but I had a Gefell m70 capsule do the same. I stored it with a bunch of silica gel packs and after a few days, it helped. Sometimes a bit of moisture can mess with things.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:23 am

ha! mine is sitting in a bag of rice at the moment. I'm hopeful while I wait on a response from Mojave.
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:15 pm

it's possible the rice-bath may have done the trick! I used the mic for recording some percussion today (after letting it sit while I watched the meters for several minutes first) and I'm not seeing the problem at the moment. Seems to be back to normal so keeping my fingers crossed that did it. And I got my silica gel packets today so I have distributed some into the mic cases to be safe...
Mike

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:46 pm

Sweet! Hope that did it. Nice and cheap fix.