let's talk monitoring / accurate sound reproduction for mixing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: let's talk monitoring / accurate sound reproduction for mixing

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:28 pm

I've got nothing to add here, but gonna inject my own bullshit instead. I was tracking last weekend and noticed one of my drivers for the KRK 7000's I've had for 21 years started making some "stress noise" at certain frequencies when pushed. I replaced the drivers for both monitors in 2005? 2004? They were used in a studio I worked out of in 2001-2003 before I bought them off the owner when he shut down. All I know is that you could find the Focal brand driver back in the early 00's that KRK used to use back when they made these monitors in the late 90's and now they're not so easy to find, and if you find them, they cost a lot. KRK is definitely a different company these days than they were back then...
Basically, I have no idea what I'm going to do when I have to find a new pair of main near-fields. Getting to know a new pair of speakers is scarier than learning a new DAW software.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:59 am

joninc wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:15 am
drumsound wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:56 am
I think what others say about testing both your outputs from your console AND the inputs of your ears are good ideas.

Not to throw a HUGE WRENCH into this, but have you also considered a DSP solution. There are a lot of them out there that seem to work really well. My new monitors are using a Dayton Audio system. The monitor maker came and we installed the system and he tuned the room with pink noise and a measurement mic. It's pretty great.
I'm totally open to a solution like this - tell me more... ballpark cost?
The Dayton DSP box is around $250, and another 50ish if you get the Bluetooth dongle to control it from your phone (I need to order one). You can hardwire it to a computer for controlling it's software. It does impart a slight hiss, that I only really notice when nothing is happening in the room, and I'm at mix position. That's actually why I want to get the dongle, so I can mute it from my phone when I'm taking breaks. It's a multi-in multi-out deal so you can do a lot with it. The I/O is RCA which kinda sucks. I may, down the line get a different DSP box but now I have a line converter dealing with the XLR to RCA. He used a test mic that attached to his iPhone that has it's own app and connects to the manufacturer so that the plot of his exact mic is known to the app.

Mine is set up stereo in 3x2 out to triamp the monitors.

There are other more expensive systems, Trivinov and another one that a lot of people use that can be system wide whose name I can't remember.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:36 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:57 pm
joninc wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:51 am
i could hear the higher frequencies when played back on friends speakers over my iphone!
Of course, the iphone is a very trebly device--it's going to accentuate high-end stuff. Nonetheless.....it'd probably be worthwhile to figure out what frequencies exactly you're losing--is it everything over frequency x, or is it a specific frequency range? Is it that these frequencies aren't making it out of the speakers, or is it that they're masked by other stuff, or that there's a level dropoff above a certain point? Does the level of dropoff increase as the frequency gets higher? It'll probably be easier to make a good diagnosis of the problem if you have a more exact handle on the symptoms.
I think I'm missing important info in the 7-12k zone. the mixes sound balanced and warm in my room, not dull. but outside of the space feel a lot sizzlier ...

too much zip and not enough roundness. at first I wondered if the tweeters were wearing out in the proac's - but the yamaha's are having the same issue.
the new rules : there are no rules

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:19 pm

If on a budget, then at least some speakers that you're familiar with would help.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:02 pm

trodden wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:28 pm
I've got nothing to add here, but gonna inject my own bullshit instead. I was tracking last weekend and noticed one of my drivers for the KRK 7000's I've had for 21 years started making some "stress noise" at certain frequencies when pushed. I replaced the drivers for both monitors in 2005? 2004? They were used in a studio I worked out of in 2001-2003 before I bought them off the owner when he shut down. All I know is that you could find the Focal brand driver back in the early 00's that KRK used to use back when they made these monitors in the late 90's and now they're not so easy to find, and if you find them, they cost a lot. KRK is definitely a different company these days than they were back then...
Basically, I have no idea what I'm going to do when I have to find a new pair of main near-fields. Getting to know a new pair of speakers is scarier than learning a new DAW software.
No man, learning new monitors is FUN. It's an excuse to just sit in the mix position and listen to records. I did it a few months ago and it was amazing.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:15 am

trodden wrote:
How about a re-cone? Pretty good bet if you can find someone who is reputable. Not necessarily a recommendation for your KRKs but I had good luck with The Speaker Exchange https://reconingspeakers.com/ in Tampa FL when my JBL 4301B monitors needed rejuvenating.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:02 pm

drumsound wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:02 pm
trodden wrote:
No man, learning new monitors is FUN. It's an excuse to just sit in the mix position and listen to records. I did it a few months ago and it was amazing.
Good point!!!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:04 pm

jimjazzdad wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:15 am

How about a re-cone? Pretty good bet if you can find someone who is reputable. Not necessarily a recommendation for your KRKs but I had good luck with The Speaker Exchange https://reconingspeakers.com/ in Tampa FL when my JBL 4301B monitors needed rejuvenating.
That's a cool website, thanks!