A 1-mic drum recording has me rethinking so many things

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

A 1-mic drum recording has me rethinking so many things

Post by alexdingley » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:25 pm

Today’s experiment was mostly about setting up a knee mic on my buddy’s kit. But also, I recently snagged a UA 4-710 mic pre… so we passed the Miktek CV-4 (in Omni) through a channel of the 4-710 and tracked it with the “slow” compressor setting of that unit’s baked-in comp circuit.

After some fiddling with polar patterns and mic position… we got one of the nicest overall drum sounds I’ve EVER gotten. It’s the first time I got that “sounds like a record to me” sound at the recording stage.

My takeaways from today are:
  • it’s the drummer
  • it’s the drums (including the tuning / dampening)
  • it’s the room
  • I spent too many years STARTING with 8 mics and then figuring out if more were needed.
  • There’s always more to learn

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: A 1-mic drum recording has me rethinking so many things

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:30 am

Fun times!

I'll add that music/style has to be on your list. Sure you can fiddle around and get a "great sound" with one mic, but that isn't going to work on all styles. If you're building around it and making sure everything recorded to that sound works, that's awesome. But if you've got clients, and short budgets, and a desire for a different thing, all that coolness goes out the window, because it doesn't match the goal of production.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:47 am

alexdingley wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:25 pm
  • it’s the drummer
  • it’s the room
That order is correct. I'd add that the tuning/dampening/head choice is more important than the actual drums themselves. IME if the drummer and the drums are happening, the mics don't matter too much, any decent mics, placed intelligently, are going to work out fine.

On the one mic thing, I just finished mixing my besties second solo record, all the drums on that were just a kick mic and a mono overhead, recorded in an attic in Chicago that's not really treated at all, and damn they came out sounding great. He has a nice little Gretsch kit and got a great drummer in to record. No fancy mics, just an SM7 on kick and I think a ksm-something for OH. Really inspired me to do a similar thing on my next record.

But as Tony said, the one/two mic drum thing definitely doesn't work for everything.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:55 am

My favorite drum sounds I’ve recorded have been 1-3 mics….if you’re lucky enough to have a client that doesn’t expect to sample replace and likes drums that actually sound like drums, I love it. And if you’re doing a live band in a room, every mic is a drum mic anyway so really don’t need to throw a bunch of mics on the kit, imho….

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:00 pm

First non-metal band in a long time the other month, holy shit recording drums is so much more fun when you're not worried about stupid double kick parts, or snare blast beats, or people beating the fuck out of the cymbals. Yeah, I still used 12 mics on the kit though.
Kick in (Beta 91a)
Kick out (4050)
Snare top (Beyer 201)
Snare bottom (421)
T1 (MK-012)
T2 (MK-012)
OHL (WA-14)
OHR (WA-14)
Heart (Beyer 260)
Room L (Coles 4038, Blumlein)
Room R (Coles 4038, Blumlein)
Room Far (Beesneez BU67)

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:43 pm

trodden wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:00 pm
Kick out (4050)

...really? Super-interested, as I have two of these and have never thought about using them on kick. They've become fast-favorites of mine for vocals and rooms and choirs / strings... but I've never put them near the drums honestly. Will have to try that.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:38 pm

alexdingley wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:43 pm
trodden wrote:
Kick out (4050)

...really? Super-interested, as I have two of these and have never thought about using them on kick. They've become fast-favorites of mine for vocals and rooms and choirs / strings... but I've never put them near the drums honestly. Will have to try that.
Yeah! Sounded like a kick drum! hahahha. Needed some body to go with the 91a. My AT 4047 was on the bass cab. It's a tossup to put the 4047 on kick or on bass when I"m tracking them both together.

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:09 pm

alexdingley wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:25 pm
Today’s experiment was mostly about setting up a knee mic on my buddy’s kit. But also, I recently snagged a UA 4-710 mic pre… so we passed the Miktek CV-4 (in Omni) through a channel of the 4-710 and tracked it with the “slow” compressor setting of that unit’s baked-in comp circuit.

After some fiddling with polar patterns and mic position… we got one of the nicest overall drum sounds I’ve EVER gotten. It’s the first time I got that “sounds like a record to me” sound at the recording stage.

My takeaways from today are:
  • it’s the drummer
  • it’s the room
  • I spent too many years STARTING with 8 mics and then figuring out if more were needed.
  • There’s always more to learn
Man, that's gotta be a good feeling. Are we allowed to hear it?

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:12 pm

trodden wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:38 pm
alexdingley wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:43 pm
trodden wrote:
Kick out (4050)

Yeah! Sounded like a kick drum! hahahha. Needed some body to go with the 91a. My AT 4047 was on the bass cab. It's a tossup to put the 4047 on kick or on bass when I"m tracking them both together.
My 4050 lives on floor tom bottom (yeah, I mic the bottom). Not sure how it ended up there but it seems to work. Pad in, of course.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:12 am

Colorblind wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Definitely yes! it's a great feeling. I've listened back a number of times now, and while I miiiiight gently walk-back the "it sounds like a record" sentiment... it ABSOLUTELY IS a usable drum sound that, with a tiny bit of eq, could be used on a record... style-depending.

AND — the drummer says it's all good if you wanna listen. Here's an mp3
Last edited by alexdingley on Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:14 am

Colorblind wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:12 pm
My 4050 lives on floor tom bottom (yeah, I mic the bottom). Not sure how it ended up there but it seems to work. Pad in, of course.
Cool — Also worth trying some day.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:17 am

trodden wrote:
Heading over to your bandcamp page now — anything, in particular, I should listen to as a good example of you using the 4050 on kick?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:00 am

alexdingley wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:17 am
trodden wrote:
Heading over to your bandcamp page now — anything, in particular, I should listen to as a good example of you using the 4050 on kick?
Nah, this was a first time using one!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:38 am

alexdingley wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:12 am
Colorblind wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:09 pm
Definitely yes! it's a great feeling. I've listened back a number of times now, and while I miiiiight gently walk-back the "it sounds like a record" sentiment... it ABSOLUTELY IS a usable drum sound that, with a tiny bit of eq, could be used on a record... style-depending.

AND — the drummer says it's all good if you wanna listen. Here's an mp3
Sounds really great, Alex!

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:57 am

trodden wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:00 am
Nah, this was a first time using one!
All good — shoot back a link if/when you have something you'd wanna share. (or PM me, etc)