FET FEVER

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

FET FEVER

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:42 pm

I'm interested in both of these mics, especially since I can pay them off via Sweetwater's financing crap and they're both in the same price range and uses.

Anyone played with these, have any experience?

https://unitedstudiotech.com/en/products/ut-fet47
https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/146/ut- ... icrophone/

and

https://soyuzmicrophones.com/1973-series

I'm leaning towards the 1973, I dig it's design/look.

Thanks.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: FET FEVER

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:11 pm

OK, after poking around, seems the UT Fet47 is more in line of what I'm looking for, mic wise. The 1973 seems hella cool though!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:51 am

Warm Audio also has a 47 FET now.... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... microphone

I've not used any of these though (sorry). but Sweetwater demo units are always good deal (and they give them all the same warranty)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:19 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:51 am
Warm Audio also has a 47 FET now.... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... microphone

I've not used any of these though (sorry). but Sweetwater demo units are always good deal (and they give them all the same warranty)
I need to check out reviews for the warm version. I totally had forgotten about that one. It's weird, like, I'm glad they have offered affordable gear, but is anyone else thinking, "Ok, enough of cloning every single damn thing out there!" when it comes to Warm Audio? I do own the WA-76, WA-412, two WA-12 500's, and a pair of WA-14's... so definitely a fan.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:42 am

trodden wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:19 am
I need to check out reviews for the warm version. I totally had forgotten about that one. It's weird, like, I'm glad they have offered affordable gear, but is anyone else thinking, "Ok, enough of cloning every single damn thing out there!" when it comes to Warm Audio? I do own the WA-76, WA-412, two WA-12 500's, and a pair of WA-14's... so definitely a fan.
they are good at marketing the clone thing for sure. And I do have a pair of Wa-87's (the original run) and I find them useful for certain things (drum overheads, acoustic guitars, and some voices, etc.).

Mike
Mike

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:59 pm

trodden wrote:
...but is anyone else thinking, "Ok, enough of cloning every single damn thing out there!" when it comes to Warm Audio?

Yeah... I've never used any of their gear, so I'm coming from a completely uninformed place on this, but they give off "big-Behringer-energy" and they seem to be riding that all the way to the bank. I can't look at a reverb sale / craigslist post without seeing their gear in the background of most recording-gear listing photos.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:28 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:42 am
trodden wrote:
they are good at marketing the clone thing for sure. And I do have a pair of Wa-87's (the original run) and I find them useful for certain things (drum overheads, acoustic guitars, and some voices, etc.).

Mike
I'll never afford a pair of AKG 414 b-ULS, like I wish, so the WA-14 is the closest I'm going to get. They work great for OH's and whenever I need some sort of LDC... like you with the WA-87s...

I have to add, the WA-76 is way cooler sounding than any 1176 plug i've used.
Last edited by trodden on Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:29 pm

alexdingley wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:59 pm
trodden wrote:
...but is anyone else thinking, "Ok, enough of cloning every single damn thing out there!" when it comes to Warm Audio?

Yeah... I've never used any of their gear, so I'm coming from a completely uninformed place on this, but they give off "big-Behringer-energy" and they seem to be riding that all the way to the bank. I can't look at a reverb sale / craigslist post without seeing their gear in the background of most recording-gear listing photos.
Yeah, leave a funny taste in my mouth, besides the fact I need to floss.

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:30 pm

I recently demoed the 1973, great mic for the price. Loved the look, small form factor, etc. It had a silky, mid-range forward condenser vibe as opposed to sparkly, shimmery transient vibe. Didn't like it on kick, though, not enough snap. Not sure if that has something to do with the resonator design. Sounded great as a mono OH in a live show as a full picture of the kit, also great on voiceover, and acoustic guitar.

If you wanted a good all arounder I'd go for it, but if you wanted it specifically for kick I'd look around for something else.
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:07 pm

mwerden wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:30 pm
I recently demoed the 1973, great mic for the price. Loved the look, small form factor, etc. It had a silky, mid-range forward condenser vibe as opposed to sparkly, shimmery transient vibe. Didn't like it on kick, though, not enough snap. Not sure if that has something to do with the resonator design. Sounded great as a mono OH in a live show as a full picture of the kit, also great on voiceover, and acoustic guitar.

If you wanted a good all arounder I'd go for it, but if you wanted it specifically for kick I'd look around for something else.
Thanks for the feedback.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:06 am

see if you can find one of the sE X1-D mics (no longer made), I've been using one for outside kick for awhile now and I like it. of course I don't have a Neumann Fet 47 so maybe I don't know what I'm missing... but it's working for me so far and I got the mic new for under $100 when they were clearing them out. they also sound really good on a larger floor tom (had one on an 18"). but I haven't seen many used (except for one that popped up on my local CL a few years ago and I grabbed that one too). I think Tony (drumsound) has a couple too.
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:07 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:06 am
see if you can find one of the sE X1-D mics (no longer made), I've been using one for outside kick for awhile now and I like it. of course I don't have a Neumann Fet 47 so maybe I don't know what I'm missing... but it's working for me so far and I got the mic new for under $100 when they were clearing them out. they also sound really good on a larger floor tom (had one on an 18"). but I haven't seen many used (except for one that popped up on my local CL a few years ago and I grabbed that one too). I think Tony (drumsound) has a couple too.
I bought 4 when they were clearing them out. The grills are pretty thin, I need to try to do some 'body work' on my because a few have been hit by drumsticks. They sound great though. I think I'll put one on outside BD after I'm forced to return the actual FET47 I have on loan.

I dig the titanium capsules, I have a pair of T2s also.

Antler23
pluggin' in mics

Post by Antler23 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:56 am

I've no direct experience with this mic, but I love Roswell's k87 and k67... cool little company making great mics for not so much money...

https://roswellproaudio.com/products/mi ... microphone

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:15 am

Antler23 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:56 am
I've no direct experience with this mic, but I love Roswell's k87 and k67... cool little company making great mics for not so much money...

Yeah, Matt and his team do great work!

Antler23
pluggin' in mics

Post by Antler23 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:25 am

drumsound wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:15 am
Antler23 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:56 am

Yeah, Matt and his team do great work!
Quite! I originally ordered the k67, but found it a little too "NPR" for my voice. Swapped it for the k87 and it's been love ever since.