iOS tuner apps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

iOS tuner apps?

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:52 pm

Well, it happened, as it always does - my best-loved tuner app got orphaned and didn't survive the latest big iOS update. That was "AP Tuner", which was a $10 that was really accurate, really sensitive, and I even used for (amateur) piano tuning.

Any suggestions on a replacement? I don't mind spending a few bucks. Is the Peterson app actually worth a damn these days? I tried to make that one work way too long.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: iOS tuner apps?

Post by kslight » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:14 pm

Hmm I was gonna say Polytune but that seems to be orphaned also. Not a big deal, it was free but worked well. I don’t think about it much bc I have tuners in like everything now…

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:30 pm

The Peterson still rules here.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:32 pm

emrr wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:30 pm
I had one of their clip-ons which was great. But the app plain sucked, always got the D string on my acoustic wrong by about 4 cents. They couldn't figure it out, I traded a few emails with tech support and sent sound samples and everything.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:57 pm

Fender has a free one for iDevices.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:12 pm

emrr wrote:
Peterson for the win — it's been so good to me over the years.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:05 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:32 pm
emrr wrote:
I had one of their clip-ons which was great. But the app plain sucked, always got the D string on my acoustic wrong by about 4 cents. They couldn't figure it out, I traded a few emails with tech support and sent sound samples and everything.
Interesting! Can’t say I’ve seen that. Wonder if it could be hardware related in some way?
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:10 am

I've been using the Peterson app (including the "Sweetened Rhodes" stretch tuning) ever since it came out.

been fine.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:39 am

emrr wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:05 am
Scodiddly wrote:
emrr wrote:
Interesting! Can’t say I’ve seen that. Wonder if it could be hardware related in some way?
Dunno, it's been that way across 3 phones and an iPad. Peterson gave me their little plug-in mic dongle and 1/4" input, neither of which improved matters. Also it shows the D on my piano as about 4 cents off what it really is.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:56 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:39 am
emrr wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:05 am
Scodiddly wrote:

Dunno, it's been that way across 3 phones and an iPad. Peterson gave me their little plug-in mic dongle and 1/4" input, neither of which improved matters. Also it shows the D on my piano as about 4 cents off what it really is.
Well now I can't help but wonder what your other reference standard is, which confirms this? Not saying you're wrong, want to know more.
Doug Williams
Tape Op issue 73

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:42 pm

emrr wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:56 pm
Well now I can't help but wonder what your other reference standard is, which confirms this? Not saying you're wrong, want to know more.
It's a fair question. Other tuner apps, hardware tuners, and "why is the D string out of tune when I just tuned it with this $10 app?"

Also it gives different readings for open D (4 cents off) vs. 12th fret harmonic D (dead on).

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:30 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:42 pm
It's a fair question. Other tuner apps, hardware tuners, and "why is the D string out of tune when I just tuned it with this $10 app?"

Also it gives different readings for open D (4 cents off) vs. 12th fret harmonic D (dead on).
A harmonic, if you play it exactly at the midpoint, should return the correct pitch, which should be the same as the open D string.

Since yours does not, maybe there is another string ringing out sympathetically, but off by a bit? A string which gets muted when you do the harmonic on the string, because you put your hands where they mute some or all the other strings?

I have had this happen.

The other possibility, is the intonation of the instrument being off...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:51 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:30 pm
The other possibility, is the intonation of the instrument being off...
Nope, it's a Taylor and the intonation is dead-nuts on. Also middle D on my piano gives the same 4 cents off. Also if I tune my guitar up with the Peterson and play a chord, the D is definitely out of tune even when it's the open string in the chord.

I do tune pianos as a hobby, so I'm reasonably sure I have higher standards now than a lot of other tuner users. 8)

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:50 am

My boss (who played steel guitar professionally for many years) suggested Cleartune, which has been around quite a while, and it's pretty nice. My only complaint is that it doesn't cover the extreme high and low octaves.

One really cool feature of AP Tuner was that it had a real strobe tuning mode. Not just a gimmick display, it actually showed the differing pitches of the various octave harmonics on a note.

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:00 am

I was also not blown away by the Peterson app (iStrobosoft). It's possible I'm just using it wrong, but sometimes I'd have issues getting low guitar notes to even register as a pitch. I ended getting an app called Pitch Lab, and using its reference pitches to tune guitar, etc.